Author Topic: 'Inspector of Poor' research help  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Inspector of Poor' research help
« on: Friday 06 June 14 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have recently discovered that my grandfather x4, Thomas McCall (1798-1857) was an 'Inspector of the Poor'.

He was born and died in Stration, Ayrshire so think it likely this was the parish he served.

As this sounds quite an interesting position, I would be grateful for any guidance on where I might found out more about what this involved and any records that might mention him etc.

Thank you.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Inspector of Poor' research help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 June 14 16:54 BST (UK) »
An Inspector of the Poor reviewed all applications for relief under the Poor Law. You can find some good descriptions of the role just by googling it.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn