Author Topic: Jordan's and Talbot's of Bilston  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Captain Jack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never give up the search!
    • View Profile
Jordan's and Talbot's of Bilston
« on: Friday 17 October 14 03:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,  ;D

I am currently researching a family consisting of Samuel Jordan and Elizabeth Talbot (Turbot). I can 100% confirm their names from two of their children’s marriages.

I have come across various trees on the internet that seem to include this particular family and I have contacted owners but have been unsuccessful in getting any answers. I would appear that most have just added the line to their own trees. I cannot do that.

What I am looking for is;
Who are Samuel & Elizabeth’s parents.
From the 1851 census I do believe this is the correct pair living with Elizabeth’s parents. George & Hannah Talbot. I would like to find out Hannah’ s maiden name and who Samuel’s parent are.

Confirmation of Samuel & Elizabeth’s marriage and also confirmation of all of their children.

The census documents that everyone else seems to be adding contains;
1851 – Segley, Wolverhampton, Ettingshall.
Samuel is 23 and Elizabeth is 24. (Again, I believe this is the correct couple as they are living with George & Hannah Talbot). It gives birth places of Stafford Princes End for Samuel and Brierly Hill for Elizabeth.
No children

1861 – Bilston Wolverhampton.
Samuel is 30 and Elizabeth is 22. It gives birth places of Stafford Bilston for Samuel and Brierly Hill for Elizabeth.
5 children
William – 9
River – 7
Samuel – 5
Richard – 3
Thomas - 1

1871 – West Bromwich, Wednesbury (?)
Samuel is 41 and Elizabeth is 38. It gives birth place of Bilston for both.
8 children
William – 18
River – 10 (interesting compared to 1861)
Samuel – 15
Richard – 14
Thomas – 12
Mary – 7
George Edward – 4
Elizabeth - 2

From the census information, as you can see, I cannot narrow down a birth date for Samuel or Elizabeth, but I do think they are all one in the same family.

Any confirmation, information and general help with this family would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Captain Jack

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan's of Bilston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 October 14 05:32 BST (UK) »
Samuel/Elizabeth married 1850.
Do you have the Cert?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Captain Jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan's and Talbot's of Bilston
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 October 14 05:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you kindly for your interest Trish  ;D

No, I don't have certificates for Samuel & Elizabeth. I only have their names from two of their children's marriage certificates and their son's death certificate. The only other concrete evidence of them is that of the census documents that I have listed above  ???

By the way the children's marriage certificates I have are that of Richard and Elizabeth and also the death certificate of Richard.

CJ

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan's of Bilston
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 October 14 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Cj,

Looking at info FreeREG at Baptisms and 1841 Census for Reuben/Elizabeth Jordan etc I think it is likely that Samuels Parents were REUBEN/MARIA Jordan. As you know Maria was nee Jordan also.

To be really sure you need this M/C;
Samuel JORDAN, Sept 1850, Dudley, 18 313
(Elizabeth Talbot possible Spouse)
It will have Sams Fathers name/occp.

Will cost about 9 Pounds.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Captain Jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 October 14 08:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Trish,

No, I did not know that Maria was Jordan as well  :o

I really do not know anything for sure beyond Samuel Jordan & Elizabeth Talbot and two of their children.

CJ

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 October 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hiya CJ welcome to Rootschat!

Off FreeREG

4.5.1828 St Martins Tipton Samuel Jordan son of Rueben and Maria Jordan of Princes End Rueben is a cordwainer

Off Familysearch Samuel Jordan married Elizabeth Talbot 8.9.1850 in Coseley (parents not mentioned)

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 October 14 10:16 BST (UK) »
Reuben Jordan married Maria Jordan 13.8.1821 Lydney Gloucestershire

The brilliant Forest of Dean site is here http://www.forest-of-dean.org.uk/ (free to register) if your research ends over that way (just had a quick look Reuben Jordan baptised 20.9.1801 Lydney parents Thomas and Mary)

Reuben is on the 1851 census having remarried Elizabeth Swift 30.10.1838 St Matthews, Walsall

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 October 14 10:02 BST (UK) »

1841 census Kindswinford Staffs,(B Hill would come under this area) H0107/996 bk.5 folio34
                                                                                                                                  page25
Elizabeth Talbot  1829
(Parents-George + Hannah)

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 October 14 09:31 BST (UK) »

Samuel Jordan + Elizabeth Talbot marriage 1850-took place at Christ Church Coseley.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith