Author Topic: William Barclay SNOW  (Read 9281 times)

Offline PETERI1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Barclay SNOW
« on: Wednesday 09 July 08 07:11 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the trial record and charges or information on my GGG Grandfather William Barclay Snow. He was convicted on April 2, 1840 at Somerset, Bridgewater and sentenced to Life.   He was transported to Tasmania, Australia on the " Lord Lyndoch "  embarked on 5th September 1840, arriving 5th February 1841.   I have searched the net but found nothing, can anyone help please?
Regards Peter
Isaac - Liverpool
Takle - UK
William Snow / Sophia Frazer, convicts UK !840 - 1843
Gooley / Allen, Sheedy - Ireland
Boldt  / Dryden - Denmark

Offline ellenmay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Barclay SNOW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 November 08 10:52 GMT (UK) »
hi, william snow came on the lord lyndock i would check on the name (Barclay ) no record of that name ,on his convict records, regards ellenmay  :)

Offline PETERI1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 08 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellenmay,
thankyou for your reply, the maiden name of William's mother was Barclay, his marriage & death certificates show that name.   I have his history from settlement in Hobart, Tasmania, including the list of properties he acquired from the time of his " Conditional Pardon " until his death.   He married Sarah Frazer, another convict, transported on the Emma Eugenia to Hobart, she was sentenced to 7 years for theft, and would be happy to share this with you, please let me know.   I have been searching for the trial records of both but have had no luck to date.   Again thankyou for your reply :D :D :D
Kind regards
Peter.
Isaac - Liverpool
Takle - UK

Offline PETERI1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 08 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Ellenmay,
it should have read Sophia Frazer :'( :'( :'( :'(
Kind regards
Peter
Isaac - Liverpool
Takle - UK

Offline ellenmay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 November 08 21:45 GMT (UK) »
hi peter the name Barclay worries me .i have william snow marriage cert to sophia frazier and his death cert and will and shipping records no sing of the name Barclayalso a .photo of his headstone . some thing is wrong would love some help ellenmay

Offline PETERI1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 November 08 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elenmay,
I will check my files & see where I came up with the " Barclay ", I think his mother's maiden name was Barclay Whaley, I have the same certificates as you including his convict record in Hobart and the offences he was charged with there, also Sophia's will, not sure if you have those, also the properties he owned in Hobart, the TAFE College at Salamander Bay is now on the site of those houses.   He was given a "conditional pardon" in the early 1850's.  (*)   No doubt you are aware that one of his granddaughters, Alice,  married Herbert Isaac, they were my grandparents, I have the Isaac tree back as far as 1520 if it is of interest to you.

Will get back when I find the info on the Barclay connections.
kind regards
Peter Isaac.

(*) Personal Details Removed in accordance with RootsChat Policy. For privacy reasons, please use the secure (PM) Personal Message System to share personal details. Thank You
Isaac - Liverpool
Takle - UK

Offline ladyoftherib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 January 09 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Well, I stumbled upon this quite by chance!!
I have discovered that a William Snow, who arrived on the Lord Lyndoch on 5/2/1841 in Hobart, married Sophia Frazier, who arrived in Hobart on the Emma Eugenia.

They married and had children, including Alfred William Snow who married Elizabeth Gallaghan... they had children, including my grandmother Irene Elsie Snow.

Here in Australia it is not easy to get into records, particularly Tasmanian, via the internet so your information was fabulous to find tonight.

PS Irene Elsie Snow married James William Bradley who were the parents of my father, James Alfred Bradley, born 1914 in Hobart.. his father's family has been impossible to trace....

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 January 09 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello ladyoftherib,

I`m also a descendant of William and Sophia Snow.
I have contacted you recently via email :)

Regards Johngirl  [Rhonda from Tasmania]
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline ellenmay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 January 09 11:37 GMT (UK) »
H,i ladyoftherib, do you have a d.o.b for james william bradley, found a james william bradley born hobart 1889,father james bradley mother mary ann williams,also 2sisters and 1 brother could this be your father's family,also was just wandering do you have any photos of your our grandmother or her parents regards ellen.

Moderator Comment: Email Address removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal data. Thank You.