Author Topic: RYALL in Lydford area  (Read 9948 times)

Offline eruggles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RYALL in Lydford area
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 19:00 BST (UK) »
I am searching for more information on my ancestor Charlotte Durnford (1824). Records show her father was Thomas Durnford of Bridgewater, Somerset, England. Further research shows Thomas's father's name was Nat.. Ryall and his mother was Frances. Accordingly, Thomas was born 18 JUL 1805 in Lydford, Somerset, England. Wondering why his father was a Ryall, and if I have found the correct Thomas Durnford. Charlotte married William T. Penny in Halifax, NS in 9/1/1845. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 September 13 00:15 BST (UK) »
I am searching for more information on my ancestor Charlotte Durnford (1824). Records show her father was Thomas Durnford of Bridgewater, Somerset, England. Further research shows Thomas's father's name was Nat.. Ryall and his mother was Frances. Accordingly, Thomas was born 18 JUL 1805 in Lydford, Somerset, England. Wondering why his father was a Ryall, and if I have found the correct Thomas Durnford. Charlotte married William T. Penny in Halifax, NS in 9/1/1845. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Hi there, cousin!

Yes I have found your Thomas in my tree. His full name was Thomas Durnford Ryall and he was christened in East Lydford on 23 Jan 1806. His parents were the Rev. Narcissus Ryall and his wife Frances, her maiden name was Durnford which explains how Thomas got that middle name. Narcissus and Frances were married 4 August 1783 at Shafesbury (St James' church) by Licence. My ancestor is their daughter Martha Huson Ryall (or Martha Hewson Ryall) who was born in 1800.

Now here is the interesting part - Martha Huson Ryall married James Dyke in 1824, however I had thought her maiden name was Huson since several of their children have Huson as a middle name! The name Ryall had never cropped up until I started to do some digging. Where did the name Huson come from? It was the maiden name of Narcissus's mother Martha who married Richard Ryall in 1742 in Shaston (St Mary), Dorset.

It looks like they didn't always put thier full names down on records, Narcissus Huson Ryall is down as Narcissus Ryall, Narcissus H Ryall, Nar Ryall (I think that is what the 'Nat Ryall' you have is) etc.

I don't have all my notes on the Durnfords and Ryalls etc to hand at the moment but I will try to send you more info tomorrow. If you want to you can pm me with your email address and I will email you the info I have and a couple of trees direct to you.

Any that's all for now.

Best Wishes

Matthew

PS I would be interested in any info you have on Thomas, and on Charlotte (and any siblings she had) if possible. Do you have them on the census?

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 September 13 12:37 BST (UK) »

I think almost certainly you have the wrong Thomas. Thomas Durnford Ryall married Phoebe Fry in 1831 and Sarah King in 1869. He is at Banwell in Somerset in each census from 1841 to 1871 and died there in 1879.  In 1824 he was only 16 and unlikely to have been living in Bridgwater under the name of Thomas Durnford.  There does not appear to be a Charlotte Durnford - or any Durnford - baptised at Bridgwater in the 1820s.

David

Offline eruggles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 September 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I appreciate knowing that I was heading in the wrong direction.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 September 13 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I appreciate knowing that I was heading in the wrong direction.

Then perhaps I'd better add that the 1851 census entry you have attached to Charlotte in your Ancestry tree is for an unmarried Charlotte Penny and so not your Charlotte. Is that the only source for Charlotte's birthplace being Bridgwater?

David

Offline eruggles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 September 13 19:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, Bridgewater is all I have. for Charlotte Durnford who married Willilam Penny.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 September 13 21:10 BST (UK) »
But if you got Bridgwater from that 1851 census record and nowhere else, then you don't know that was where your Charlotte was born.

David

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 February 14 21:13 GMT (UK) »

There is a Thomas Durnford Ryall in my tree who was living in Bridgewater at this time and I suspect this may be the same person. AS previously mentioned I originally thought that my ancestor's name was Martha Huson but I now know that it was Martha Huson Ryall (or Martha Hewson Ryall). Thomas Durnford Ryal was her brother so I will go and check my Durnford/Ryall trees and see what I can find out for you.

Matthew

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 February 14 21:43 GMT (UK) »

I think almost certainly you have the wrong Thomas. Thomas Durnford Ryall married Phoebe Fry in 1831 and Sarah King in 1869. He is at Banwell in Somerset in each census from 1841 to 1871 and died there in 1879.  In 1824 he was only 16 and unlikely to have been living in Bridgwater under the name of Thomas Durnford.  There does not appear to be a Charlotte Durnford - or any Durnford - baptised at Bridgwater in the 1820s.

David

Hi David

Do you hve information on Thomas Durnford Ryall's second marriage. Is he described as a widower at all?

Matthew