Author Topic: HEAD. Too many Henrys  (Read 3633 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
HEAD. Too many Henrys
« on: Friday 27 December 13 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my Head family back to Henry Head born about 1770 in Somerset per the 1841 census where he appears with wife Rosina.

I have found the baptism for their son Charles, my 3x ggrandfather and the marriage of Henry and Rosina (Tedbury) at St Mary's Church Bathwick on 5th June 1808.  Rosena is a spinster, Henry is a widower.   Then I hit a thorough and confusing series of brickwalls.

I cannot find a baptism for Henry or Rosena anywhere and I find a plethora of possible previous marriages for Henry.

Henry Head, bachelor, married Jane Broad, widow, 23 Apr 1792 Walcott St Swithin.
Henry Head, widower, married Mary Marchant,widow 12 Oct 1795, St James Bath. Witnesses Charles Russell and Henry Liddiard.
Henry Head bachelor married Hannah Hawkins, single, Bath St James 1806 witnesses John Cole and Thos Watts.
Henry Head bachelor married Joanna Fry (widow) 30 Sep 1804 Walcot St Swithins, Joanna Head age 47 buried 3 Aug 1807 St Nicholas Bathampton abode Bathwick.

The latter two marriages make me think that there are at least two and probably three gentlemen by the name of Henry Head marrying a series of young or not so young ladies (given that three of the ladies marrying were widows) but at the moment I cannot make head nor tale of it.  Perhaps fresh eyes could shed some light.

Any help much appreciated.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: HEAD. Too many Henrys
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 December 13 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Is Henry still alive in 1851, if so where in Somerset was he born according to the census

Added - Rosina's burial gives her year of birth as approx 1776

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 December 13 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Given the number of Henry Head's around it is hard to be sure but I think this is probably him in 1851
HO107/1940/403 p 27

1 Villa Place, Bathwick.
William Wall age   43 labourer born Malmesbury, Wilts.
Sarah Wall age   45 born Bath, Somerset
Henry Head age   84 lodger widower born Bath, Somerset; pauper supported by the parish.

Sarah and William Wall are living in Sam's Court in 1841 which is also where Henry, Rosena and their son Charles and his family are living so maybe Henry was taken in by them after the death of Rosena.

William Wall married Sarah Bright 1832 Walcot, St Swithin's, Bath  although this may not be the right couple but the fact that in 1861 William Wall and wife Sarah are joined by granddaughter Eliza Bright suggests that it is.

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 December 13 16:29 GMT (UK) »
It would tie in with the burial in Bathwick 1853 bn c1767.   :) 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 December 13 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that is what I have, but cannot find a burial!

Have found the Walls in 1871 with yet another granddaughter, Clara Weeks age 5 - they don't seem to have liked life with just the two of them!

Offline LMFAO

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 December 13 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Not answering your original question yet but do you know Henry and Rosina had another son Henry baptised 10 September 1809 Bathwick - St Mary the Virgin and George 1st September 1811
You may be able to rule out Henry Head that married Hannah Hawkins - there is a Henry and Hannah having children baptised around this time ie a son James 21 st August 1808

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 December 13 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information about Henry and Hannah.  Yes I do have Henry and George,

Children I have of Henry and Rosena are

Henry 1809 who I think married Ann Smith (a widow) in 1832 and probably died in 1865.  Children Elizabeth, Henry and Mark.

George 1813 - 1870 married Mary Ann Vaughan no children found and cannot find in 1841 at the moment.

William 1815 - 1844 married Esther Shipton, one daughter, Eliza born, 1842

Elizabeth 1819 - no further information at the moment but suspect she is the Elizabeth Head buried 10 Jan 1838 Bathwick St Mary age 18 of Barry's Court, Grove Street.

Mark 1826 - 1836

and last but not least, my ancestor Charles 1813 - 1884 married Mary Ann Bowler and produced no less than 12 children.

Offline LMFAO

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 December 13 17:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a George Head  labourer age 25  and Mary Head age 20
1841 census Piece: 931 Book/Folio: 4/9
Page: 10      Registration District: Bath
Civil Parish: Bathwick  Municipal Borough: Bath
Address: Grove St P B, Bathwick, Bath

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 December 13 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that LMFAO - right area and names to be them - hadn't found it because the ages are definitely a bit out but it certainly looks like them.  If it listed Mary as a straw bonnet maker I'd say definitely the right couple!