Author Topic: Needing help to find George Mortimer  (Read 4756 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Needing help to find George Mortimer
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 January 14 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I notice from your profile that you are in Perth, Western Australia.  Here's a link to the bestest State Library west of the SA/NT border  :)  http://www.slwa.wa.gov.au/find/family_history   You can get access from home via their e resource if you are WA resident.  Fantastic Research Library, which I try to get to whenever I am in Perth. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 January 14 11:07 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCP-TT5   Marriage of a Benjamin Ray Carver MORTIMER and Elizabeth DICKENS on 16 April 1845 at Richmond NSW.

The NSW BDM has this marriage indexed twice within their Early Church Records series.
Vol 30B line 268 and vol 158, line 1237.  It is a C of E marriage, at Richmond NSW  (CE being the NSW BDM code) (Twice, is not at all uncommon.  Some early Church Records can be indexed three, four and even five times.  Other Early Church Records have not survived, so are not indexed even once  :(  :(  :(.

I mention this because the NSW BDM death index has 1935 Henry Mortimer with  his parents as Benjamin and Elizabeth.

I should mention that NSW BDM civil registrations commence in 1856. NOT ALL bdm events PRIOR TO civil registration as indexed at  NSW BDM.  In fact, I am not at all confident that “most” would be a sensible word to use.  I would be confident in saying that MANY of the C of E early parish registers are extant.  And I should also mention that UNLIKE the laws of England, the C of E was not ever formally installed as the “Established” Church, so there are instances where baptisms and burials in particular are conducted by other denominations from early settlement times.  In my opinion, it is simply unwise to research NSW ancestors without obtaining the full details of the bdm events, particularly once you have found you have 19th century NSW births with one or both parents likely born in NSW too..

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-4/short-guide-4

Jewly, I have NOT checked around to see if that Benjamin and Elizabeth (married 1845) could be your chap's parents.  I do really really think that you really will need to research the 1881 marriage before you can get much further and be confident that you are on track and joining the dots correctly.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 January 14 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but would you be able to give me the link to the page you found George and Elizabeth married and baptised several children??

The baptisms came from Familysearch, the marriage from you.

It seems from the other replies that your Richard was not the son of George and Elizabeth, but that he was born in Bath around 1770. That ought to make him easy to find but sadly he isn't. I help organise the transcriptions from the Bath area for FreeREG and I believe we have covered every surviving register from that period, from Bath itself and every Somerset village within at least 5 miles, probably 10, but we don't have a baptism for Richard.

David