Author Topic: Few Opinions Needed  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
Few Opinions Needed
« on: Monday 07 April 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me make a decision.

I have a ‘Robert William Shire’, born 1866 in Pitminster, Somerset.

Looking on the Ancestry website other people have him born as an illegitimate child of Elizabeth Shire before she married Francis Finnemore.

Looking on FreeReg, the only one that fits in to my Robert was baptised 25 October 1866, with a father called Daniel. There is another Shire and that is Edwin baptised 11 October 1863, with the same parents.

There is a marriage of a Dan Shire to an Elizabeth Lee in 1862. As well as a death for a Daniel Shire in 1866. Which would lead to Daniel not being on any Census living with Elizabeth.

The 2 sons are living with Francis Finnemore/Finnamore and his wife Elizabeth, which I expect is their mother in the 1871 census that remarried.

In the 1881 Census, Edwin is with the Army and Robert is living with his step-dad and mother, who had more children with Francis Finnemore.

In the 1891 Census, it seems that Francis died, leaving Elizabeth with their sons and Robert, which is said to be the son of Elizabeth.

So I would like to know your opinion of this.  :) :)

My opinion is that Daniel is the father, leaving the two sons after he died. Elizabeth then re-married to Francis Finnemore and had more children.
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
Re: Few Opinions Needed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Clarkey,

It sounds logical to me but that doesn't mean it's right.
First off, I'd be ordering Daniel's death records as they just might name his grieving family.
Also check for a will or probate record. There is also a chance that the two boys married at some time and if they did he might possibly be named as their father.

Cheers
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would get a copy of the marriage certificate for Francis Finnemore and Elizabeth Shire, Dec Qtr 1868 Taunton Reg District, vol 5c Page 604 This should indicate whether Elizabeth was previously married.

There is a birth of a Robert Shire (no middle name shown) Dec Qtr 1866 Taunton Reg District Vol 5c Page 357 that fits with your Roberts birth (Pitminster was in the Taunton Registration District)

Andy

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 07:23 BST (UK) »
First off, I'd be ordering Daniel's death records as they just might name his grieving family.
Also check for a will or probate record. There is also a chance that the two boys married at some time and if they did he might possibly be named as their father.

Geoff, death certificates in England & Wales don't mention family! Unless the informant was a family member.

I would check whether the 2 boys married.
Then either the birth certificates or the marriage certificates would confirm their father's name.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)