Author Topic: llanrhos  (Read 8223 times)

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: llanrhos
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 June 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo,
If I can find where my relatives are buried, would I be able to read their headstone or would it be in Welsh?
regards
Lynne

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 June 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hello lynne,

Find my Past has a burial for Elizabeth Roberts on 27 March 1751 at Llansanffraid Glan Conwy. This would have been at St Ffraid

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/eglwysi/llansanffraidglanconwy.htm

There is a burial in St Ffraid for a John Roberts on 2 May 1749 but it gives the names of his parents and that infers he was an infant.

Jo.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 June 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hello lynne,

You queried the language on the headstones. Please bear in mind that there may not be a headstone in existence now. These were usually found on graves of the wealthier people back then. The average person would not have had the means to put a headstone on the grave.

The language could well have been in Welsh, the graves in St Ffraid almost certainly would have been.

Jo.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 June 14 16:12 BST (UK) »

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 June 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
Do you have any more information on the people who lived at Graig Lwyd? I think that this is near to Penmaenmawr

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=8340

Jo.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 June 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

I think there has been a bit of confusion as to where Tywyn/Towyn Llanrhos is. 150 years ago the postal directory refer to the hamlet of Tywyn in the parish of Eglwys Rhos which is centred around Pentywyn Hill area. Today it's called Deganwy and is over the river from Conwy town. There were several houses known as Ty Newydd one of them still remains today called Lavender Cottage. There were a group of houses also called Ty Newydd in the area were Garth Motors stands today and there is a reference to a John Roberts farmer living there.
There is a very informative site with some lovely photographs of various houses and churches in the area, lists of houses and occupants and a map from 1864 that will give you an idea of where all the boundaries for these hamlets are. Sorry I can't post a clickable link as I haven't worked out how to do that yet. Google 'Tywyn in Victorian Times Researched by Fiona Richards.'It will give you an idea of the area they lived in. I live nearby and very often pass that area and also had family living there on the 1881/91 & 1901/11 Census so if I can help further please ask,

Kind Regards,

Ellen

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 June 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
I have found Hugh Roberts born 1791 living at Graig Llwyd, Eglwys Rhos on the 1841 Census with his wife Jane born 1786 and son John born 1817. Both Hugh and John are Agricultural labourers.

Also on the 1841 Census there is a Roberts family living at Ty Newydd, Eglwys Rhos.

Griffith Roberts born 1786 Agricultural Labourer
Anne born 1796
Mary born 1821
David born 1833
Anne born 1836
John born 1839

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 June 14 17:51 BST (UK) »
Also found on the 1881 Census John Roberts born 1817 Eglwys Rhos, Stone Mason and his wife Elizabeth born 1832 Denbigh. They are living at Tyddyn Y Lluan which is next door to Graig Llwyd so there is a possibility this is your John Roberts and he moved next door before he died in 1883.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 June 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for clarifying this Ellenmai. I have learned something that I didn't know and I have lived in Deganwy!

I don't know of a burial ground there, so presume it would have been in St Hilary,Llanrhos. What about St Gwstenin in Llangwstennin?

Jo.