Author Topic: Apostolic Church Records  (Read 2039 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Apostolic Church Records
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 February 13 20:41 GMT (UK) »
refs for anyone trying to help
1901 RG13/4933 folio 73 pg 42
1891 RG12/4351 folio 54 pg 11

Is there any help from his marriage certs? Where did he marry, including denomination? What details are given for his father? Is there any address given on the 1884 cert? What about the names of the witnesses?

I can see a possible in 1881 with father John?

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 February 13 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes, his father was John and I think his mother was Ann. He had siblings Mary Ann, Elizabeth and John. The parents were from Carmarthenshire. He married in the register office in Tredegar in Bedwellty district on December 25th 1884.  He gave his age as 23 which doesn't tie in with his age on the censuses.  The addresses for him and Phoebe (Evans) were just the name of the villages they lived in.  He lived in Victoria which is just a few hundred yards from where he spent the rest of his life.The writing is practically indecipherable but one witness is Abigail Campbell and the registrar is William Campbell.  I looked them up and they are father and daughter. The name of the other witness is impossible to read.  I've telephoned the office but they were too busy to take calls.  I thought they may have an entry in a book that was clearer.  I'll try again on Monday. They're always very helpful.

I'm very grateful for your help.  I'm really stuck with this one.  I have to meet my hubby off a train soon so I'll be back here tomorrow.

Lesleyann

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 February 13 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Marriage in the registry office could tie in with non-conformity. What about his father's occupation?
I'll give you the 1881 I found, parents are not from Carms though.

12 Colliers Row, Uchlawrcoed, Rhymney RG11/5248 folio 102 pg 12
John Jones head mar 60 engine tender b. Swansea
Ann wife 50 b. Dowlais
William son 25 b. Dowlais
Mary A Lewis dau 23 b. Rhymney
Efi (?) Jones son 17 b. Rhymney
Edward Lewis son 2 b. Rhymney  (should be grandson?)
Rees Thomas relative 20 fireman b. Dowlais
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 February 13 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I should have said William's father was a haulier.  He's with his parents and siblings in 1881 in Merthyr Tydfil.

RG 11  Piece 5316  Folio 90  Page 26

We're certain his parents were born in Carmarthenshire because some of the family cousins are still there and William's great-grandson can verify this, although they know nothing at all about William et al.

I put a message here last night to say I wouldn't be back until today but I can't see it anywhere so I must have pressed a wrong button or no button at all.  Sorry for that.

Lesleyann

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 February 13 17:20 GMT (UK) »
your reply is there.

The John in the family you've given the reference for is a baller and the William a roller, so doesn't match the marriage cert info for John and doesn't match later occupation for William. What occupation is given for William on marriage cert?

I'm not sure how likely moving from those iron industry occupations to mining ones would be?

Just checked the 1891 census and the William in that family is still living with his parents

1891 15 Gellyfaelog Tce, Penydarren RG12/4440 folio 27 pg 20
John Jones head mar 58 baller in iron works b. Carmarthenshire, Carmarthen
Ann wife 57 b. Carmarthen
William son single 34 roller in iron works b. Dowlais
Sarah J dau 21 schoolmistress b. Dowlais
Edith dau 16 b. Dowlais.

::)

Offline GerryP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Lesleyann,

I don't know if this helps but in the 1918 Absent Voters List, James Smith, a Private in the RAMC gives his address as 8, Cwm Road, Waunllwyd. Is he related?
As you live so close to Gwent Archives it is worth looking at the Electoral Registers to see when a person no longer appears at an address, this may give a clue as to when he died. Although the Registers were not kept during the war years 1914-1918.

Good Luck,

Gerry

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, both, for your replies.  My sister was taken ill on the weekend so I've been spending time at the hospital.  I'm hoping to get back to this tomorrow and have another look at your replies in more detail.

Lesleyann

Offline GerryP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 February 13 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Lesleyann,

I took a look at the Electoral Registers at Newport Central Reference Library today, William Jones and Dorothy are both on the 1929 register at 8, Cwm Road, but only Dorothy is on the 1930 register. This could mean that William has died, of course this can only be verified by purchasing the death certificate.
I hope this helps,

Gerry

Offline Lesleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 February 13 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for that, Gerry.  That narrows down the death record possibilities to just a few.  The trouble is, his age varies by as much as six years depending on which census you look at. I looked to see if there's a probate record for him but none of them around that time fit our William. I've got time now to go back over all the information here and have a think.  Thanks again.

Lesleyann