Author Topic: cabinet makers from Whitehaven  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
cabinet makers from Whitehaven
« on: Tuesday 23 September 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
After a number of years researching my family I just received some copies of documents giving me
a lot of new information. One particular item was an extract from the Whitehaven advertiser in 1787 which was taken from an advertisement in the paper and read ' ...A few journeymen Cabinet-Makers to go to Newry in the North of Ireland to work for a master of reputation.
This advertisement was placed either by my Great, great grandfather ( William A King) or his father who carried on business as Cabinet- makers, guilders and looking-glass manufacturers in Whitehaven until 1865 when William A died.
So my questions are : 1) Does anyone in the Newry area have or know of someone who might have furniture or the like manufactured by either William A King or W & M King of Whitehaven?
2). In 1886 my Great grandfather married in Bessbrook and could well have been resident in the area some time before that. It's possible he could well have been working for the same family 100 years later but this time as an engineer ( something attracted him to the area) Any ideas?

Regards

Jardiner

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: cabinet makers from Whitehaven
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
 A website http://www.bagenalscastle.com/ancestry has the following results for a search for surname King

Source   Number of Results
Crossle Papers   1
Flaxgrowers List   1
Householders Index   7
List of Voters for Newry 1868   3
Newry Directory 1900   1
Newry householders, British Parliamentary Papers   2
Newry Model School 1849-1856   3
Newry Town Agricultural Census 1803   24  Hoping looking at the details produces you luck

Newry had clockmakers from 1750 onwards , most needed cabinets ?

JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 15:29 BST (UK) »
If William King was adfvertising in 1787 then he can't be the one who married in Bessbrook in 1886. That marriage certificate should list father's name and occupation and might help find a link further back.

It could have been that William King, and others from England, were hired to work on an estate somewhere in the Newry area. The first place to look might be the online ecatalogue for PRONI, Belfast to see if there's anything indexed relating to William Kings. However, without his employer's name or name of the house, etc. it may be impossible to find more.
http://www.proni.gov.uk/index.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies  however with regards to that from agadowey there seems to be a slight misunderstanding. William was my great, great grandfather who was the cabinet maker up to 1865 in Whitehaven and before that it was William & Michael his father and uncle. They themselves never lived in Northern Ireland but sought men to work there on their behalf. My great grandfather was Michael King and it was he who married in Bessbrook and was living there on the marriage date and possibily before then. It may be pure coincidence that he was there 100 years later as an engineer but I was just asking the question if there were any likely connection with the two occasions and if I found the name of the former client in Newry then maybe I could see the link.

Regards

jardiner

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
... an extract from the Whitehaven advertiser in 1787 which was taken from an advertisement in the paper and read ' ...A few journeymen Cabinet-Makers to go to Newry in the North of Ireland to work for a master of reputation.
This advertisement was placed either by my Great, great grandfather ( William A King) or his father who carried on business as Cabinet- makers, guilders and looking-glass manufacturers in Whitehaven until 1865 when William A died.
So my questions are : 1) Does anyone in the Newry area have or know of someone who might have furniture or the like manufactured by either William A King or W & M King of Whitehaven?
2). In 1886 my Great grandfather married in Bessbrook and could well have been resident in the area some time before that. It's possible he could well have been working for the same family 100 years later but this time as an engineer ( something attracted him to the area)...

When I read the post initailly I think it said William A King was your great grandfather but perhaps you've corrected that?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!