Author Topic: Help please with a WATSON family from Dunbartonshire  (Read 1787 times)

Offline hen2010

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please with a WATSON family from Dunbartonshire
« on: Thursday 10 October 13 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all.. Can anyone help me with my research on the WATSON family from Dunbartonshire please.., The information i have so far is Father: Thomas Watson born abt 1857 Mother: Elizabeth Bowie Blyth born 01 Nov 1865.
1st child of theirs Margaret Sorley Watson born 24 Nov 1885 married Neil Cole in 1925 but after that can not find anything on her???

2nd child of theirs was Robert Watson born 27 Jan 1887 married twice but have only managed to find his 2nd marriage to Mary McFarlane in 1927 any info on him would be great!!!

3rd child of theirs was James Watson all i know on him is his date of birth 17 Jan 1890 he was on the 1901 Census with his parents but then nothing on the 1911 Census abit confused to where he might be???

4th child of their was Elizabeth Blyth Watson only info on her is her date of birth 24 Jan 1892 she was on the 1911 Census but can seem to find a marriage or a death for her.

5th child of theirs was Mary Moore McFarlane Watson she was born 01 Jan 1895 died 07 Nov 1931 aged 36yrs she married a chap called Frederick Mackintosh (occ: Pullman Car Attendant) but i can not find their marriage his birth or his death, on her death record it states she was a widow???

6th child of theirs was Bowie Blyth Watson (female) all the info on her i have is her date of birth 08 May 1898 I can not seem to find anything else out on her no marriage or death???

7th child of theirs was Govan Watson born 12 Oct 1900 died 1980 in Northamptonshire he marriaged Margaret McCallum in 1925 but i would like to know how i can possible find if they had any children...

8th child of theirs is Barbara Govan Watson born 21 Jan 1903 died 28 Dec 1991 in Northamptonshire she married Michael O'Keefe in 1942 but i can not find out anything else about him.

...they also had an 9th child according to the 1991 census but from the 1891-1911 census there are no other names how would i find out the other child???

Any information anyone has on this family would be gratefully received so i can possibly fill in the gaps...I have looked on ScotlandsPeople, Ancestry & Find My Past for the info im looking for but nothing....Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope you can help me in some way..Hen2010

Edited for easier reading

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with a WATSON family from Dunbartonshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 October 13 14:51 BST (UK) »
Margaret was 40 when she married?  Have you checked SP for a death for Neil?  Margaret may have re-married after his death?  SP is showing only 2 deaths for a Neil Cole between 1925-1975.  A copy of his death cert will tell you whether Margaret was still alive at that time

Re: Robert - is he married on the 1911 census?  If so - you will have his wife's name plus any children.  If not - it narrows a search for his marriage to between 1911-1926

James was 21 in 1911 so could be anywhere

Elizabeth - SP is showing one match to a marriage for the name Elizabeth Blyth Watson between 1911 - 1920 - have you checked it out?

There is also one match to a marriage using the names Mary Moore Watson between 1911-1920

I have only used the names given - not those of any spouse etc and have not limited the search to any particular county - sometimes less info yields more results

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hen2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 October 13 14:56 BST (UK) »
hi...
No Robert is Single on the 1911 Census

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 October 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
If Robert is single and he re-married in 1927 - then you will need to look on SP for a marriage between those dates

Re: Bowie - she is Blythe on the 1901 so have you looked for a marriage under that name?  Is she on the 1911 census

Re: Govan

You can use freebmd to search for Watson births with a mothers maiden name of McCallum

www.freebmd.org.uk

Re: Barbara - a copy of her 1942 marriage cert will give her husbands age and his parents age as they appear to have married in Scotland - not England

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 October 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
they also had an 9th child according to the 1991

Do you mean the 1911 census?

If they were married for several years before Margaret was born - that may account for the missing child.  If not  - have you checked SP for a Watson death with a mother maiden name Blythe/Blyth

Offline hen2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 October 13 15:19 BST (UK) »
yes 1911 sorry.

I am abit confused about Mary Moore as that is her but she must of re-married as on her death record it states she was a widow to Frederick Mackintosh but still can not find this record

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 October 13 15:25 BST (UK) »
5th child of theirs was Mary Moore McFarlane Watson she was born 01 Jan 1895 died 07 Nov 1931 aged 36yrs she married a chap called Frederick Mackintosh (occ: Pullman Car Attendant) but i can not find their marriage his birth or his death, on her death record it states she was a widow???

Did she die as Mackintosh?  If so - she didn't re-marry but is shown as a widow because Frederick pre-deceased her. 

As you have found the marriage - you will have Fredericks details re: age and mothers maiden name etc so can use that info to look for his death. 

You can use that info to find a death for him between the marriage date and 1931 when Mary died.  Search under MacKintosh or McIntosh/MacIntosh