Author Topic: 1871 cen/parish of rhu  (Read 6169 times)

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 cen/parish of rhu
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 March 14 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don,
    They got marr on the IOMan in 1857, had Robert William in 1858 in India, so assuming they were there in the 1861c, I have no idea if the 1861c was taken that far out, perhaps some one knows, if the Will Fred in Scotland is mine, it seems likely, in the 1871c and was remarr in Lambeth London in 1878 poss reg office, as he was a Lt Col in the army at retirement there should be some were a fair bit of info about him, but were I know not...mick
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 March 14 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this helps you with placing location of W F (first year indicated is that of the relevant issue of the London Gazette):

1862: To be Captains: William Frederick Cox. Dated 27th April, 1858
www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/22621/pages/2231

1865: Captain William Frederick Cox, Royal Artillery.
Dated 7th June, 1864.
www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/22986/pages/3357

1868: Captain (local Major) William Frederick Cox, Royal
Bengal Artillery, to be Major, in succession to
.Lieutenant-General William Henry Marshall,
Bengal Infantry, deceased. Dated 30th January,
www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/23419/pages/4832

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 March 14 14:06 GMT (UK) »
WOW Monica.....
  Now that's fantastic, that fills a few gaps in W F's life, I guessed that there mast be some info
out there about him retiring as in the scot census of him being a Lt Col in 1871, but it still does
not explain the marr status, he was probably involved with the India Mutiny, as I said before
his army record must be some where, its probably in Kew.
 Thanks Monica..............mick
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 March 14 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Working with my son's notebook as mine is in for a service...so struggling a bit here (not complaining though, glad to be online at all  :P).

DIVORCE  :o in 1862. Very unusual for the times and may go a long way to explaining why W F considered himself 'unmarried' maybe? Specially as it was WF who applied for it (but in those times, that does not mean the same as in later years or today)....although, maybe seeing mention of a co-respondent  ::) would make me think that perhaps Anna Maria may have been having an affair  :-X

Divorce Court File: C112. Appellant: William Frederick Cox. Respondent: Anna Maria Cox. Co-respondent: [...] Doyne. Type: Husband's petition [hx].
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7971131

Mike, these papers are not available to download as they are not digitised and would require you to contact them to arrange for a copy set to be sent to you or for someone to visit TNA.

Likely there will be army papers for him at Kew. Senior officiers papers don't normally show on the online catalogue so hard to get the references for him this way.

Will, have you tried searching for this?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:07 GMT (UK) »
OK....a bit if a chance here...but just tried searching for an "anna maria" and "doyne"...and wow, there may be something to follow up (how I don't know yet).

Have a look at this info here http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cmricha/fam4315.html

Needs more work for sure and early days...

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:22 GMT (UK) »
The Doyne and Daniel family links show here www.thepeerage.com/p38364.htm

Not surprisingly, none of the online research I can see (like a/try trees etc) make any mention of first marriage for Anna Maria. She married in 1857 and likely first marriage only lasted a little time...before divorce etc. She was young etc...maybe nothing was ever made of her first marriage with her second family?

From other trees (not much detail on them unfortunately), her death is given as:

Anne Maria (Nanny) Daniel/David born about 1836 and d. 1916 in St George Hanover Square, London, England (vol. 1a/pg 407). I know, I don't get the Nanny or David from that...hopefully all will become clear  ::) at some point.

Her second husband:

Richard Vigors Doyne Birth 19 Oct 1824 in Old Leighlin, County Carlow, Ireland and Death 1 Jan 1897 in London, Middlesex, England

Mordaunt Berners Doyne born about 1864 in Calcutta, India and Death 9 May 1913 in Greater London, London, Middlesex, England

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 March 14 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Whilst WF was an 'unmarried man' up North in 1871...at the same time in 1871 in London is this entry at St George Hanover Square:

Richard Doyne 46  Barrister at Law b. Ireland
Nannie Doyne 29 b. Ireland
Winifred Doyne 9 b. at sea (from online tree...At Sea, Sulawesi Tengah, Indonesia)
Mordaunt Doyne   7 b,. Bangal...couldn't figure out sex from name  :P...it was son  :D
...and full house of 6 servants

The girls liked to marry young (and boy in this case ::)):

Winifred in 1881 in Essex:

SIR Philip M. Sir Payne 22  Baronett b. Sussex Hastings
Winifred Payne 19 wife b, At Sea
Sophy Macmehy   13 cousin
....and six staff

Monica

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 March 14 19:16 GMT (UK) »
One is a bit perplexed, so the oddity of unmarr in the 71c is explained due to the divorce, by saying
unmarried saves a lot of awkward questions and answers, will look into getting a copy of this event
if not to expensive, might be cheaper to go to Kew and look up other stuff to boot, I have Anna being bp in Spitalfields London 1.10.1837, the fathers name is the same as on the marriage cert
when Anna marr WF ,so every reason to believe this is mine, according to the Peerage site Anna Marr in 1861ish some thing to look into, if my Anna 1837 is correct and was marr in 1857, its a bit tight
but there again just the other day I had a girl marr at 16 ! so what do I know, life was short and hard, I am gobsmacked with all the info you all have found, this is becoming a bit complicated
in FS there's a marr for a Richard vigors to a Nanny Daniel in India  13.2.1864 ..(Nanny ) ! why nanny, its the dates that are confusing the issue.

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 March 14 20:18 GMT (UK) »
The Anna bp I found in Spitalfields with father William Henry Daniel, he listed himself as a painter ?
 by the way, this Nanny was supposedly  born in Ireland, just did some digging on FS they have found only one Anna, that's the one in Spitalfields 1837 , so a bit betwixt an between.