Author Topic: Banks Family - Struggling to find them on some censuses.  (Read 6676 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Banks Family - Struggling to find them on some censuses.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq,

Many thanks for that, I had seen the second page, but appreciate your pointing it out to me. I had wondered what the notations/markings were, so many thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Is there, if you don't mind my asking a similar site for the US Censuses, as there are lots of codes, notes etc, on the censuses for these two families, that currently make no sense at all! I would love to know what they mean.

Many thanks again & in advance.

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
This site covers what questions are on each census and what the abbreviations mean - http://www.archives.gov/research/census/   

This also has some of the other codes - http://www.stevemorse.org/census/codes.html

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq,

Many thanks for the links, very much appreciated indeed!

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 June 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just to tidy this one up, as regards the family members who emigrated.

The Geoghegans.

John Geoghegan according to censuses emmigrated to the USA in 1888 & wife Elizabeth Ann/Annie with two children in 1891. However, I have as yet to find either passenger list. I have been unable to find them on familysearch.

The Neary's.

Thomas Alfred Neary emmigrated aboard the 'Merion' in March 1909. Thomas Neary Snr emmigrated also aboard the 'Merion' in February 1910, with Esther & the two girls Ethel & Mary Alice emmigrating again aboard the 'Merion' in October 1910. Thomas A Neary returned briefly to England in 1911 returning to America ,once again aboard the 'Merion' in November 1911.

Although I have the passenger index cards for the voyages from England to America, I am missing the passenger lists themselves for Thomas A Neary's 1909 passage & Thomas Neary Snr's passage in 1910. I also do not have Thomas A Neary's voyage to England in 1911. I have not been able to find these either on familysearch.

I also have Thomas A Neary's Naturalization Index record & the Naturalization record itself from familysearch. Unfortunately, a couple of the smaller pages of the Naturalization record aren't particularly clear, as they appear not to have been scanned very well or are just a little bit out of focus. Is there anywhere else online that I can see these?

My thanks again for all your help thus far, it is very much appreciated indeed.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David

Offline Phil1972

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 August 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
The below quote refers to my ancestors at The White Hart in Rochdale. If anyone wants to get in touch I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Phil

ote author=DavidJP link=topic=689942.msg5338279#msg5338279 date=1402861010]
Hi Heatherjulie & Keyboard86,

Many thanks indeed for your replies, very much appreciated.

Wow, what can I say! Brilliant! Thank you very much indeed.

I wonder why I couldn't see them on the 1881 on familysearch, most odd!

Heatherjulie, the 8, Hanover Street address in 1881 is as you know the correct address & definatley them, Thomas Banks was a Skinner by trade. Many thanks for census, marriage & burial detail, much appreciated. As regards the 1901 census for William Thomas Banks, his wife's maiden surname being Eastwood, being related to Martha & Joseph is entirely possible. Just caught your posts re the Strudwicks, many thanks. I'm presuming that the 19 for census date for the Strudwick's should read 1901?

Keyboard86, Many thanks for 1891 detail, much appreciated. Is Boundary Street in Castleton? Neasy instead of Neary! oh well, I've seen a lot worse mis-transcriptions! ;D

Hmmm, still no sign of the Geoghegan's I presume?

My thanks again

Kind regards

David
[/quote]

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 August 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil,

A warm welcome to Rootschat!

The White Hart in Rochdale where the widowed Martha & her son Joseph were in 1901 was pointed out to me as 4 doors down the road Ellen (nee' Eastwood) was living with her husband William Thomas Banks. Martha possibly being Ellen's mother & Joseph her bother, but this I don't know for certain.

Many thanks for replying to the thread, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David

Offline Phil1972

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 August 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

thank you for your prompt response. I am not sure either. Perhaps if you have names of more Eastwood relatives that I could cross reference with my known relations and let you know if any match?

Kind regards,

Phil