Author Topic: Mott Family - Questions Re 1901 Census & a Marriage.  (Read 3885 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Mott Family - Questions Re 1901 Census & a Marriage.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 June 14 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Heatherjulie,

Many thanks for that, that was annoying me, that I couldn't find her! ;D

Thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 June 14 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Was reading you post with great interest because my Mott family were also in Hulme at the same time but so far I can not see any connections with your line.

On the Subject of Styal, I had a different family line who were at styal a bit later than yours. I was able to write of to Manchester Social Services for some more information and was given dates, and names of admission/discharge along with the next of Kin addresses.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 June 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

I had noticed that there were a few Mott families around in Hulme in the late 19th/ early 20th century period. Just goes to show that you never know do you? Family History never ceases to surprise/amaze me at times! ;D

As regards writing off to Manchester Social Services, it is not a bad idea at all. I will look into doing that. In other words I'll add it to the rather large family history list of things to do! ;D

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 June 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I might have just found something re Florence Mott, but I need it checked.

I've just done a search on Passenger Lists to my surprise it shows the following:

Mott, Florence; b1886; Departed 1924; Sailed to Quebec, Canada.

Unfortunately the Canadian Passenger Lists I can access only go up to 1922. Very Frustrating!

My thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 June 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
The 1924 departure is a bookkeeper from Paignton, Devon. She has a 9-year old called Victor with her.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 June 14 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrewalston,

Many thanks for that, much appreciated. Back to the drawing board, I guess! ;D

The only Canadian Passenger Lists I have access to are on familysearch & as I said in my last post they only go up to 1922, so I appreciate your checking for me.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 December 14 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have familysearch census detail for the family both before and after Clara & John William's marriage. However, from 1901, there seems to have been some problem/s beset the family.

The quote above is from my original post & I have now stumbled across what may be the reason(s) the family began to have problems.

I have in the last couple of days started a 14 day free trial on FindMyPast & decided amongst other things to locate if possible the workhouse records for the family as mentioned in this thread. In doing so I stumbled onto something most unexpected.

John William Mott (Senior) was in 1891 a Letter Carrier (postman) & imagine my shock when I saw an entry for him in the 'Calendar of Prisons Register'!

He had committed 3 offences of "feloniously stealing post letters"!

On 16th July 1895 he stole a post letter containing a postal order for 5 shillings.
On 17th Aug 1895 he stole a post letter containing a postal order for 3 shillings.
On 29th Oct 1895 he stole a post letter containing 2 half sovereigns, one shilling & nine postage stamps.

It would appear that he was probably caught on the last one, as he was received into custody the day after (30th Oct 1895). He was tried on the 15th Nov 1895 where he pleaded guilty to 3 counts of larceny of post letters. He was sentenced to 18 months Hard Labour. It has the word concurrently in brackets after the 18 months, so not sure if this was 6 months for each offence to be served concurrently or 18 months for each.

One wonders if having six young children to feed & not enough money to do so pushed him to do this or if it something else.

After his release he was in & out of the workhouse.

John William Mott (Snr); Chorlton Workhouse; admitted 1st Dec 1896; No date of discharge shown.
John William Mott (Snr); Chorlton Workhouse; admitted 25th Oct 1897; Discharged 28th Oct 1897.
John William Mott (Snr); Chorlton Workhouse; admitted 23rd Nov 1897; Discharged 30th Nov 1897.
John William Mott (Snr & Jnr) & Emily Jane Mott; Chorlton Workhouse; admitted 1st Dec 1897; J W Mott (Snr) no date of discharge shown. J W Mott (Jnr) discharged 3rd Oct 1898 & Emily Jane Mott discharged 4th Oct 1898.

The first workhouse entry (1896) as I read it seems to say 1896 but I have several register entries for John William Mott (Snr) all for Dec 1st 1897 & I wonder if this one is also 1897.

It just goes to show, that when it comes to family history, you just really never know what you might uncover!

Kind regards

David

Offline DaveJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 April 16 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello DavidJP

Are you still interested in finding out what happened to Florence Mott?

Regards

DaveJB

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 April 16 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi DaveJB,

A very warm welcome to RootsChat!

I am definitely still interested in finding out what happened to Florence Mott. The last record I have of her is in 1911 in Hale in Cheshire, transcribed as Matt, after that nothing!

I await whatever you can tell me with baited breath! ;D

Many thanks indeed for your reply, very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David