Author Topic: Thomas Cope, born Doveridge, Derbyshire, around 1774  (Read 7327 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Cope, born Doveridge, Derbyshire, around 1774
« on: Sunday 02 June 13 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone lookup and confirm a baptism for me please in Doveridge, for Thomas Cope, on 3 Feb 1774, parents George Cope and Elizabeth.

And a marriage of George Cope and Elizabeth Smith at Doveridge on 19 Feb 1765.

If both these are confirmed, any other children born to George and Elizabeth would be great.

Many thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Ashlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Cope, born Doveridge, Derbyshire, around 1774
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre,

I can confirm the baptism of Thomas Cope on 3 February 1774 in Doveridge and the parents being George and Elizabeth.

I can also confirm the marriage of George Cope and Elizabeth Smith on 19 February 1765 in Doveridge.

Below are children born to George and Elizabeth and their date of baptism:

Mary Cope baptised either 30 March 1766 or 6 April 1766 (different transcriptions) in Doveridge.

Ann Cope baptised either 5 February 1768 or 16 October 1767 in Doveridge.

William Cope baptised 1 January 1770 in Doveridge.

Elizabeth Cope baptised 5 July 1772 in Doveridge.

Thomas Cope (as above).

George Cope baptised 7 January 1776 in Doveridge.

Jeremiah Cope baptised 23 June 1777 in Doveridge.

Sarah Cope baptised 16 December 1778 in Doveridge.

Samuel Cope baptised 14 January 1781 in Doveridge.

Esther Cope baptised 2 April 1784 in Doveridge.

I hope this helps! If there is anything else I can do to help don't hesitate to ask.

All the best,

Ashlee :)
Rowland family of Youlgreave/Bakewell, Andrew family of Bradwell, Gascoigne family of South Yorkshire and Saxby family of Hull/Lincoln. Families in Bradwell, Hope, Castleton etc. (Hope Valley), Derbyshire.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 14 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashlee  :)

That's fantastic, thanks. I believe that George and Elizabeth are my 5th great grandparents. I'll add the info to my tree later and check if it all adds up (it's a while since I've looked at this branch).

Thomas was in Staffordshire in 1851 but I know no more than that.

I don't suppose you can see any likely burials in Doveridge can you?

Thanks again,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Ashlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 July 14 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre,

I was unable to find a burial for Thomas in Doveridge. I saw that in 1851 he was living in Alton, Staffordshire so I'm guessing his death was registered in Uttoxeter.

Below are some burials I found for George and Elizabeth's other children:

Mary Cope buried on 4 April 1809 in Doveridge.

Anne Cope buried on 13 November 1802 in Doveridge.

Jeremiah Cope buried on 31 March 1801 in Doveridge.

Esther Cope buried on 4 December 1789 in Doveridge.

I couldn't find a burial in Doveridge for George or Elizabeth. Also, I can only find Thomas and Samuel in census returns with Doveridge listed as their place of birth so I wonder if they were all born just over the border in Staffordshire but baptised and some buried in Doveridge?

Ashlee
Rowland family of Youlgreave/Bakewell, Andrew family of Bradwell, Gascoigne family of South Yorkshire and Saxby family of Hull/Lincoln. Families in Bradwell, Hope, Castleton etc. (Hope Valley), Derbyshire.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 July 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ashlee, that's briiliant.

Should have specified George and Elizabeth, though I haven't found Thomas' death yet either. Thanks for the details on his siblings. Gives me plenty to work with.

Deirdre

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 July 14 02:48 BST (UK) »
Ashlee,

The information you posted in reply to Deirdre's post will be a great help to me also.

I'm sure the Thomas Cope baptised 3 Feb 1774 Doveridge is one of mine.

Also great to have the marriage confirmed of George Cope and Elizabeth Smith.

Like Deirdre it gives me lots of information to add to my family history.

Ashlee, Is the information you posted from the Parish  Records?

Hi, Deirdre see you are still here - like me. :)

Many thanks for all this information.

Sarra

Offline Ashlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 July 14 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarra,

I'm so glad that I've been able to help you!

I can confirm that George Cope and Elizabeth Smith married on 19 February 1765.

Unfortunately I am having to rely on transcriptions from Ancestry, but I am hoping to get to the Derbyshire Record Office in Matlock soon, in which case I will double check everything and post anything else I find.

Ashlee

Offline Ashlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 July 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
I have had a look to try to find the baptism of George and while I cannot find one in Doveridge I have found a few possible baptisms in Staffordshire between 1738 and 1745:

George Cope baptised 3 December 1738 in Alton, parents are William and Mary Cope.

George Cope baptised 4 February 1739 in Abbots Bromley, parents are George and Esther Cope.

George Cope baptised 22 May 1739 in Draycott-in-the-Moors, parents are Obed and Katherine Cope.

George Cope baptised 4 August 1745 in Leigh, parents are George and Ellen Cope.

I think that the first baptism in Alton seems highly likely to be him as he named his first born daughter Mary and first born son William. Also, his son Thomas was living in Alton in 1841 and 1851.

Ashlee

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 July 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant Ashlee, thanks so much. I agreee that that the Alton baptism looks good - trouble is that there are hundreds of Copes and George and Thomas are particular favourites!