Author Topic: 1898 Newspaper lookup Coatbridge  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1898 Newspaper lookup Coatbridge
« on: Saturday 01 November 14 07:12 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has access to old newspapers online or can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. I am hoping these deaths may have been reported:

Samuel Hendrie
Sudden Drowning probably accidental
Found New Monkland Canal near Whitelaw Fountain
Possibly December Nineteenth 1898

The death entry above Samuel's is also a Sudden Drowning:
William Brown
Found New Monkland Road
Date possibly December Twentieth 1898

I am curious to see if these drownings are related.

The image is very poor and difficult to read - the dates and months are not clear but the months seem to end in 'ember' and day ends in 'enth' or 'ieth'. It's possible that any reports may have been in early 1899, as I cannot read dates so may have been December Thirtieth for example.  :-\

Thanks for any help.  :)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1898 Newspaper lookup Coatbridge
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 November 14 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is an article in the Glasgow Herald 21 Nov 1898 called More Drowning Cases at Coatbridge. I believe that the Glasgow Herald is on Google Newspapers and so you should be able to locate there.

The article refers to the body of William Brown being found in the canal the previous day. He was a wood burner from Armadale and had been missing since the 6th. " On Saturday forenoon" another body was found in the same area and was believed to be Samuel Hendry Sen, London Street Airdrie. He had been last seen alive on the 5th when he had been going to see a sister in Gartsherrie. A week before two other bodies were found at Coatbridge.

Hope this helps

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 November 14 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

Did you know that as an Australian resident you can access the Gale Groups 19th Century British Newspapers through the National Library of Australia eResouces  http://www.nla.gov.au/ ?

Andy

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 November 14 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you William, that has clarified that the drownings are not related. Must have been a treacherous section of canal.  ;) ;D

Andy, yes, I did know about the Gale newspapers but I did not know that included Scotland, and I also thought they only held the national papers such as The Times rather than smaller local papers.

I will take a look anyway so thanks for the suggestion.