Author Topic: John Donaldson / Brick wall  (Read 3156 times)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Donaldson / Brick wall
« on: Sunday 15 December 13 00:06 GMT (UK) »
I've come up against a brick wall with John Donaldson from Muiryhall, Urquhart.  On 1851 Census it says he was born in Drainie but on 1861 - 1911 Census it says he was born in Urquhart ( This is probably right). I can't find a birth for him at all C 1835 - 1839.  He died in 1919.  His father is James Donaldson.  John was obviously illegitimate as his father is unmarried on all the Census records and on James will it states that John is his natural son.   On John's Marriage and death certificate, his mothers name is Ann Barber.  He was married to Elspet Chalmers, whose parents were  John Chalmers and Elizabeth Phin according to Marriage certificate.  I've tried entering just the father's name but nothing on Scotlands People or Family Search.  I've even tried just searching for a John but still nothing.
A distant cousin compiled the family tree and had John's mother as Jean Smith.  There was a marriage in 1823 for a James Donaldson to a Jean Smith in New Spynie but I'm surprised that details weren't checked out and can find no connection to this Donaldson.  Also, he had Elspet Chalmers parents as Peter Chalmers and Margaret Innes.  Obviously, he didn't check the certificates while researching because the names are wrong. 
Can anyone tell me if there are any other records I can check to confirm.  :'(

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Donaldson / Brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 December 13 00:16 GMT (UK) »
This is the 1841 entry for Urquhart which is probably a better representation of his birthyear than later censuses.  All b Moray except Mary MacGellaery

James Donaldson 75 Farmer
James 45
Margaret  15
Margaret  65
John 3
Mary MacGellaery  25 b Scotland
Urquhart ED 4 Page 7 Line 1250
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 December 13 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Is Ann Barber shown as deceased on John's marriage cert?

Have you checked SP for a marriage or death for her?  Fairly unusual for him to be with his father rather than his mother so I wondered whether she may have died in childbirth or shortly after
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 December 13 10:27 GMT (UK) »
The minutes of the kirk session for the parish where John was born, if they survive for the period, will probably make mention of an illegitimate birth. Entries for investigations into the "sin and scandal of fornication" can be quite full.

The minutes can be viewed on computer in the Historical Search Room at the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh, and at some local archives.

Another place worth looking is the Moray Council Libindx site which allows you to search for people in the area.

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 December 13 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes.  I've checked everything out with Scotland's people which we have in Inverness and checked out on line.  Looks like his birth wasn't registered or different denomination.  Also checked Ann Barber but nothing.