Author Topic: John Runciman from Scotland 1910  (Read 9334 times)

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Runciman from Scotland 1910
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 May 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much "Dettori28" - all that you found for me indeed refers to "my" J and B Runciman. We did not know, until now, that they made a return visit to Scotland in 1924. My mother (John's neice) is in possession of two vases given by John to his sister Georgina as a wedding (1922) present - probably bought in UK - we doubted that they had been sent all the way from Detroit to Scotland. Do I understand the records correctly: that they must have arrived in Glasgow on 13 July 1924, and then returned to USA via Canada on 15th Aug 1924?
Douglas, Tait, Chalmers, Runciman, Jack. Hawick, Jedburgh, Roxburgshire, Berwickshire, East Lothian.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 May 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think that is the case.  Also found a passport application dated 15 April 1924. He was born in Scotland April 16th 1886 to George Runciman.  Mentions his wife Barbara born in Scotland 22 Oct 1879. Married August 11th - 1911. Emigrated to the USA about April 1910. Lived uninterruptedly in Michigan for 14 years. Naturalised citizen of USA in Wayne County July 3rd 1919.
If you would like to see this, then please send me a personal message with your e-mail address and I will forward.  ;D

This is another link for John and Barbara Watt showing the marriage.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08qa/
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 May 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Scotborders,

Will post incase you have'nt got this info.  Looking at the 1891 Scotland Census for John, he appears to have a sister Agnes Runciman born 1882.  She appears on passenger records on SS Caledonian going to a fiance Andrew Arnot in Detroit. Micihigan. 20 June 1909 and the marriage apppears a few days later 22 June 1909.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08qc/

They appear on the 1910 and 1930 Census for Detroit Michigan. In 1920 they were in  Eden, Sweetwater, Wyoming but no sign of young Mary.  ???

Agnes and a daughter Mary appear on UK Incoming Passenger List 27 Arpil 1913 and return on the New York Passenger List 28 Sept 1913 having visited father George Runciman. Fairholme. Boswells. Roxburghshire. They wre returning to husband Andrew 271 reford Avenue. Detroit. Michigan.

Agnes Doughty Arnott born 6 Aug 1882 was Naturalized Detroit District Court. 3-7-28 Petition 29310

Andrew Arnot - Detroit Border Crossing 20 Sept 1907. Going to Uncle John Arnot. Atlas. Michigan. Last Permaent Address was Windsor. Ontario. Name and address of person who knows you from country whence came:- Sister - Catherine Arnot. Dunsdale. Haugh. Selkirk. Occupation:- Plummer. Was in the USA - Detroit  from 1906 - 15 July 1907.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 May 10 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Scotborders.

Rather puzzled why Andrew and Agnes would be in Eden, Sweetwater, Wyoming  on the 1920 Census.  Not sure these are the same couple - Mary who travelled to Scotland in 1913, aged 2 years is not with them and the occupation of Andrew is post master merchant and not plummer - which Andrew was in 1910 and 1930 !!
The year of immigration would be wrong and all the children are born Scotland.  ???
Did Agnes have a sister Helen - need to check that  ???

Andrew Arnott 38 Immmigrated 1913  ???
Agnes Arnott 36 Immigrated 1913  ???
Elizebeth S Arnott 10
Barbera Y Arnott 8
Agnes N Arnott 6
Hellen Spears 32 Sister-In-Law. Widowed. Immigrated 1919

Amended: Have just seen this family on a 1930 Census so it isn't your Andrew and Agnes. It would seem they are AWOL in 1920 for the moment.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 May 10 10:00 BST (UK) »
I suspect this might be Uncle John Arnot who Andrew was going to on that 1907 Border crossing. It looks as if Uncle John married again between 1870 and 1880

1910 Atlas, Genesee, Michigan

George Pelton 39 Born Michigan
Elizabeth Pelton 40 Born Scotland. Immigrated 1892
John Arnot 80 Widowed. Uncle-In-Law. Immigrated 1888  ??? Not sure that is correct - having looked at earlier census.

1900 Atlas. Genesee. Michigan.

John Arnot 70 Marriage year 1880. Immigration Year 1850. Blacksmith.
Jane D Arnot 60 Born New York. Had 0 children.

1880  Atlas, Genesee, Michigan

John Arnot 46 Blacksmith
Jane Arnot 45

1870 Grand Blanc, Genesee, Michigan

John Arnot 40 Blacksmith
Julia Arnot 30 Born New York

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 May 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
There is an SSDI Record for Andrew Arnot, if you could verify the birth date, this might be him.
Born 13 July 1881 Scotland and died Died: Mar 1966. Last Residence: 48204  Detroit, Wayne, Michigan.

Just seen a WW1 Draft which I am sure is Andrew Robertson Arnot - 13 July 1881. Plummer. Living in detroit. Michigan.

Offline Raynard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 October 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
I noted from the internet that you have an interest in john rinciman and wife barbara watt.I would like to know if you have any more information regarding the above couple and other relatives.I myself is a great grand nephew of his father george runciman and mary doughty         regards raynard                                 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 October 10 19:41 BST (UK) »
In case it helps, I found Barbara Runciman's obituary in the Elyria (Ohio) Chronicle Telegram.  It indicates that she died on 25 Aug. 1972 at age 93 in a nursing home in Lorain, where she had been a patient for 7 years.  It says she was born in Scotland, came to Lorain in 1944, and was predeceased by husband John in 1960.  She was going to be buried in Ridge Hill Memorial Park.  No survivors were mentioned.

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 October 10 11:53 BST (UK) »
Shellyesq - Thank you very much for that information on Barbara Watt which is totally new to me, and of course would never have been otherwise found by me in an Ohio newspaper. I will check out the locations mentioned in the obit on GoogleMap. Much appreciated.
Douglas, Tait, Chalmers, Runciman, Jack. Hawick, Jedburgh, Roxburgshire, Berwickshire, East Lothian.