Author Topic: Bervie graveyard  (Read 5983 times)

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bervie graveyard
« on: Wednesday 12 December 12 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I wondered if anyone has access to a list of MIs in Bervie graveyard, please?  I'm interested in George Anderson, who died in Bervie 21st November 1864 and his widow Jessie, nee Colvin or Collie, who died there 26th September 1867. 
Thank you for any help,
Carolyn

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Bervie graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 December 12 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn,
A few years back while in the area, I was  visiting my Dad who was resident in Castle Lodge Nursing Home, I visited the small Bervie Public Library.
There I viewed an unpublished survey of the old graveyard the survey was made about twenty years ago by a couple of locals enthusiasts.  It contained photos of all the visible stones, and a name index to the inscriptions.
Maybe some one local could help you by checking this.

Sy in Dumfries
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 December 12 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sy
Thankyou for responding to my request.  This definitely sounds like a good course of action.  I feel quite encouraged. We're hoping to visit Scotland briefly next year and will certainly try and make it to Bervie, especially if we know there are some Anderson gravestones there.
Thanks again,
Carolyn

Offline thehammies13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 December 12 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I have a copy of the document you need.  It was given to me by Isles Burness, who recorded the old Bervie cemetery with Sandy Couper.  (Both now passed away).  I don't have the photographs they took.  These are lodged in an album in the Inverbervie Library.
Happy to look for the names you want, but will not be able to do so immediately - too many other commitments at his time, but could hopefully look it up by the end of the year!!!
Bervie Library only opens a few hours a week, so if you can't get info from there, let me know.  Last I heard, Sandy Couper's daughter is the librarian.

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 December 12 02:17 GMT (UK) »
What a kind offer.  Thank you.   Any time you can manage this would be great.  It's certainly a busy time of year, and other things have to take precedence.  I'll hold off contacting the library.  If they're only open a few hours a week, the librarian will have other things to do.  I can be patient!
Thanks again,
Carolyn

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 December 12 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to post this on the general board, but my PMs to The Hammies keep getting sent back to me as quotes.  Could you please confirm you've received them, R.
Carolyn

Offline thehammies13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn - George Anderson and his wife (Mrs George Anderson) are recorded in the Register of Interments, which seems to have been kept by the gravediggers, in the years you said, but there is no headstone, sorry.  What a comprehensive booklet Isles produced - and his knowledge of the history of Bervie was immense.
Let me know if you want any other names looked up.
R