Author Topic: Ann Greig b c1800 Kincardineshire  (Read 5508 times)

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Greig b c1800 Kincardineshire
« on: Thursday 04 April 13 12:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to discover who the parents of an ancestor of mine might be. She is Ann Greig who died aged 82 in Montrose on 19 Sep 1882. Neither her death record nor the record of her marriage to David Wallace on 29 Nov 1828 gives the names of her parents. However in all Census records where she features her place of birth is given as Marykirk, Kincardineshire.
I have managed to trace an Ann Greig who was born in the right year on 5 Apr 1800 to a David Greig, a weaver at Cadgerhill? and his wife, Margaret Smith. She was christened on 20 Apr 1800 in the parish of Brechin. Could this be the right person? Can anyone help in my search?
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline heymin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Greig b c1800 Kincardineshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 April 13 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if you've got this already but the following is from "familysearch" and if you have any info. on any of her siblings that would help to confirm it. Born 5-4-1800 and baptised as you say. Search using the parents.
Brian
Strachan,Wood,Leiper,Craig,King,Smith,Shearer,Reid,Wilson,Galloway,Buthlay,McLean.
Aberdeen,Slains,Nigg, Findon,Portlethen,Monquhitter,Cumineston,Banff,Oldmeldrum

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 13 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian
I'm afraid I don't know anything about my Ann Greig's actual siblings. However I have the birth dates of the children of David Greig and Margaret Smith.
Regards
Colin
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 April 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

A couple of general observations

Brechin is in the county of Angus, Marykirk was in the county of Kincardineshire and is now in Aberdeenshire.

Cadger Hillock and Cadger Wynd are mentioned in 'The History of Brechin to 1864' www.electricscotland.com/history/brechin as being former names for streets close to Brechin High Street/Market Street.  Census returns show linen hand loom weavers and flax spinners living in Cadger Hillock.

Have you checked Brechin PR's to make sure the Ann Greig born 5/4/1800 didn't die as a child or marry someone other than David Wallace.

Ann Greig seems very sure she was born in Marykirk, but no sign of her bpt there on familysearch.

Valerie

Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie/Designer Jeans
Thanks for your interest in my query
I think you are probably right that "Cadgerhill" is a shortened version of Cadger Hillock
Unfortunately not very many deaths were recorded in the OPR's in Scotland so that is unlikely to be a fruitful avenue of research. However I shall have a look at possible marriages for Cadgerhill Ann.
I suppose it is still possible for someone to be born in one parish and baptised in another, even then.
Regards
Colin