Author Topic: Dawson  (Read 4648 times)

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dawson
« on: Saturday 30 January 10 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Am researching the family of Dawsons. We have a death printout of my great great grandfather oliver dawson . According to that it was Hampshire he came from but on research there is no one of that name there But I have had info sent from other roots chat members and durham seems to appear. He apparantly was born 1839 and in the family bible we have these other names are mentioned. William lewis medwin and he appears in nz along with oliver dawson.
 Also in the bible dawson folk
Hannah B1822
Ann B 1826 D 1854
Hugh B1828
jane B1831 D age 9
elizabeth B 1836
John Oliver B1840  D 1850 then there is a jane dawson and it looks like the word senior  D aged 49 wonder if it is his mother. Then william lewis medwin 1828 Hope this is not too confusing  This is just copied from bible so it may not be totaly accurate.Hereford
Dawsons,potts,medwins -england
Mcilroy,greer,cannon,Turner-Ireland
wallace,andrew,kemp,Carruthers-scotland
Honan-Australia
New zealand-To name a few names

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Dawson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 January 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hereford,

just posting the links to your two other threads on Medwin & Dawson to save duplication of searching and so other rootschatters know what bmd and census information you already know

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07yg/

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433155.0.html

Tazzie found the 1851 census showing the names you give

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 January 10 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Here's the same family in 1841:

HO107 Piece 301 Book 19 Folio 26    Page 11     
Haighs, Medomsley Township, Lanchester, Durham

DAWSON
Oliver       47   Farmer   b. Durham county
Jane          37                         "
Ann           15                not b. Durham
Hugh         12                       "
Jane            9                       "
Elizabeth     4                       "
John          9 months    b. Durham county

Barbara

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 January 10 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara This is wonderful But I have a couple of questions
Is this the census or where did this info come from Where do I need to go to lookat it?
I see there is no mention of Oliver my G G Grandfather He died in Nz 1911 according to death printout aged 72 so he was born 1839. Why is there no mention of him do you think?
Is william Lewis medwin mentioned anywhere?I am assuming that he was friendly with the family.His path follows olivers and they both ended up in Blue Spur in nz during the goldrush of the 1860s. They lived up the road from the gold excavation sites. Oliver dawson who came to nz named his children William which I am assuming could be after the William Medwin  Annie John and Hugh. Again assuming after his siblings who may have stayed in england who he probably never saw again or maybe some of them came out with him?Where would I go for shipping records etc? Thankyou again It looks as though this is his family as his farthers profession in his death cert is written as Farmer. Joanne
Dawsons,potts,medwins -england
Mcilroy,greer,cannon,Turner-Ireland
wallace,andrew,kemp,Carruthers-scotland
Honan-Australia
New zealand-To name a few names

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 January 10 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joanne,

Yes this is the 1841 census, you can see it on ancestry or findmypast

this was the 1851 census that Tazzie found for you earlier on the other thread:
1851 Kenton Durham HO107/2388 F 452 Page 18

Jane Dawson hd wid 45 householder Northumberland Shotley
Hugh Dawson son un 22 coke burner    "            " Allendaleton
Jane Dawson dau un 19                        "             "        "    "
Elizabeth Dawson dau un 15 dressmaker            "         "    "
Oliver Dawson son                                      Kenton.

Oliver's age was missed off there, I have just checked it and he was 7 in 1851 so not born until 1844, so would not appear on the 1841 census, his death cert information may have been given by someone who did not know his actual age

Tazzie also gave you census information 1851 for a William L. Medwin - visitor in Tow Law, Durham - born 1828 Tetsworth Oxfordshir, and a possible marriage in 1853 for him, possibly to Oliver's sister Jane, did you follow that up by getting the marriage certificate?
that information was given to you on the link I gave earlier, if you click on this link and re-read it all:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/07yg/

Barbara

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 January 10 00:32 GMT (UK) »
I found this marriage:

Stanhope, church -  St. Thomas the Apostle
22 Jun 1822 Oliver Dawson, of Allendale, Northumberland married Jane Thompson

and just one baptism:
Satley, church -   St. Cuthbert
12 Dec 1840 John Oliver Dawson, of Heigth, son of Oliver Dawson (farmer) by his wife Jane

You can search the Durham (& Northumberland) Bishops' Transcripts free on http://www.rootschat.com/links/076g/ if you want to search for other baptisms

Barbara

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 January 10 01:17 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 address for the Dawsons is not Kenton as given on the earlier thread.

It is Dans Castle, Tow Law, Wolsingham, Durham
not a castle, but a street named after a mineshaft!
http://www.historysociety.org.uk/full_history.htm

Interesting, that may be the link, as William Medwin was also in Tow Law in 1851, so they probably met there.

Barbara  :)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:58 GMT (UK) »
children's baptisms are on familysearch.org:

all baptised at Allendale, Northumberland

Hannah  27 Sep 1823
Ann        6 Aug 1826
Hugh     19 Jun 1829
Jane       28 Jan 1832
Elizabeth 9 Jul 1836

There is a pedigree chart on the site, giving Oliver senior's parents as Hugh Dawson and Hannah Oliver, and that Hugh's parents as Abraham Dawson & Jane Robinson, this is member-submitted and would need to be checked against parish records

I can't see the family in 1861, so maybe they all emigrated together

Barbara

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 January 10 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your pm.  I'll reply here as others may be following the information found.

You asked about Hannah in census.  There are 5 Hannah Dawsons in Durham in 1841, 4 with their families and 1 a female servant in Ryton, Durham, but it's not possible to know if that's her, she may have married by then, she could have moved away from the area, or died

On freebmd there are two possible marriages in the Weardale registration district which covers Tow Law where the family were in 1851  More likely is this one in the Durham &c district which covers Medomsley and Lanchester where the family were in 1841. 
Dec 1840  Durham &c.  24  93          DAWSON    Hannah   
 names on the same page are
 John  GIBSON      George  HERRON      George LAWSON  and William  TOWNS    
Couldn't see them as a couple in 1841/51 census though.

On the NZ board Lucy2 gave a link to the Victoria outward passenger lists, have you checked for the rest of the family?
http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=42

Barbara