Author Topic: Thomas and Kinsey families from Builth  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Keith847

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas and Kinsey families from Builth
« on: Saturday 19 October 13 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I have a copy of my wife’s 5x G grandfather, Mathew Kinsey's will, dated 22 August 1772; unfortunately the five page document isn’t that easy to interpret.

However, I have managed to glean that his wife’s name was Martha and that he was an innholder in Hay, Brecon. His daughter was Anne Kinsey (I don’t know whether she had any siblings). She married John Thomas an excise officer from Builth, Brecon, I have a copy of their marriage bond.

Is there anyone doing any similar research of the Kinsey or Thomas families from around Builth?
I am interested in any information regarding them but I am particularly interested to find Martha's surname.

I am also interested in finding out more of what excise officers actually did in Builth; if someone could point me in the right direction as to some literature regarding the profession, I would be grateful.

Kind regards

Keith

Offline Keith847

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Kinsey families from Builth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 October 13 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all

My apologies but there is an error in my original post.

The second paragraph should read that Mathew Kinsey was from Builth and is recorded on the will as "The Elder" maybe that's a clue in itself.

Sorry about the error

Keith

Offline cynsye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Kinsey families from Builth
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 October 13 08:48 BST (UK) »
It might be worth trying the Facebook group, Kinsey, oldest name in the UK, there are a lot of Welsh kinsey's in the group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/81724153615/