Author Topic: Calling all Cork Barrys  (Read 16969 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Calling all Cork Barrys
« on: Monday 22 March 04 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I know that there are lots of Barrys in Cork, and probably especially in the Cobh area, but if you think the following details look familiar, I'd love to hear from you.

My great great grandparents were from Ireland and Greece.
Ellen, nee Barry, may have been born in Ireland or in the USA - according to Census records. My guess, from the records available, is that she was born in America, but of a family who lived in Ireland.
'Queenstown' has been noted in at least one Census as her birthplace - and also that of her eldest son, Lazaros. I would guess that they were baptised there, and that Ellen was married there.

Lazaros was probably born in around 1855. I should think that Ellen married her Greek husband, Nicholas Svombo (or Nicolaos Svombos perhaps) in around 1854.

Ellen herself seems to have been the daughter of another Ellen, while family legend states that her father was a 'Captain Barry'.

The approximate birthdates of Ellen and her brother and sisters are:
Ellen Barry c1837(-1912)
Julia Barry c1840
Margaret Barry c1842
Garrett Barry c1843

I intend to write to the record keeper of Cobh Cathedral as I assume that they might have the records that I need, but if anyone sees a similarity with names in their tree, I hope that they will get in touch.
All the best.
Tricia

EDIT:
We discovered that some of this information was incorrect.
Further research has shown that the following were not siblings, after all:
Margaret Barry c1842
Garrett Barry c1843

We also think that we may have found the names of Ellen + Julia's parents:
Garret Barry
Catherine, nee Connell

We think that they are probably the couple, married in Queenstown / Cobh on 12th October 1831
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Emma

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: svombo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 September 04 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi my grandmother was a svombo and her side of the family are greeks her name is lillian and she had brothers and sisters called ronny, barbara, gwilim, patty lenny and marian.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Cork Barrys
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Emma,

Thanks for the message.
I know your uncle Ronnie and I'm in touch with someone who must be your sister, I think, - Lorna.

Family history is a fascinating business - finding out about past relatives and discovering present ones, too!

All the best

Tricia
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,

Have you checked the Cobh parish records yet?
The National Library has catholic baptisms and marriage records from St Colman's, Cobh/Queenstown Diocese of Cloyne from 1812

If you want me to check for you, please see my website.

On the Pigots 1824 of Cove there are lots of Barry families so your search may take  while

Eliza a publican
J.S Esq in Fota
John Crown and Anchor Tavern 20 West Beach
Michael Publican Harbour View
Thos Merchant 27 West Beach
Thos Victualler  Market Place

and Slaters 1846 has lots too

Bartholomew Coal Dealer West Beach
John Thomas Esq The Beach
John Spirit Dealer The Beach
Mary Mrs Abbeymore
Richard Boot & Shoemaker Back St
Barry Ring and Burke Merchant Ship Agents and Owners
Thomas & william Esqrs Ross League

regards

Kate www.hi5holidays.com/famhist.html
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Kate,

Thank you for your message.
I haven't been to Cobh yet - I was hoping to go this summer, but didn't make it. What I do now have is proof, provided by St Colmans, that my great grandfather's eldest brother, Lazaros Svombo, son of Ellen Barry, was baptised there in 1855.
I know that Barry is very common in that area, so finding the right ones could prove difficult, but every little clue leads us further on - hopefully in the right direction.

I've had to put the family tree on hold for a while, as I have other research I must do, but I'll have a look at your website and maybe get in touch.
Thank you very much for letting me know about it.

All the best
Thanks again for the info.

Tricia

Offline Peter Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
  • To a genealogist a step backwards is progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Tricia,

I think that we have met via Genes Reunited. I only heard about this board this evening.

Nicholas Svombo and Ellen Barry were married on 9th November 1854 in St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh (at that time it was St Colman's Church it not become a Cathedral until several years later). The witnesses were Garrett Barry and Mary McCarthy. The Priest was the Rev Murphy.  I have a certified extract of the entry in the marriage register.

Best wishes Peter :)

Spencer, Svombo, Barry, Pardey, Rolf, Whitewood, Wadham, Cotton, Cooper, Fry, Wheeler, Whillier, Willier, Eldridge

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 September 06 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter.

Wonderful!

Thank you!

Good to hear from you again. Yes, this is a good site ~ I haven't been doing much on the family tree lately, but I never lose interest ~ it's fascinating!

It seems that Ellen's brother was named Garrett, but I wonder if that was her father's name, too.

I had been wondering about St Colmans ~ was the old church on the same spot as the cathedral, I wonder. Do you happen to know? Does anyone else have any info on this?

'St. Colman's Cathedral is an exquisite gem of neo-Gothic architecture by the architects Pugin and Ashlin. It took 47 years to build, starting in 1868'

http://www.iol.ie/~gercasey/cathed.html

Offline Peter Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
  • To a genealogist a step backwards is progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 September 06 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tricia,

Until someone pointed out that St Colman's Cathedral was not started until 14 years after Nicholas and Ellen had married I thought that it had been there since Norman times. The extract from the marriage records was obtained by my late uncle Charles in 1911.

I have no idea if the Cathedral was built on the same site as the old Church. Perhaps we could set ourselves a task to find out.

Regards Pete
Spencer, Svombo, Barry, Pardey, Rolf, Whitewood, Wadham, Cotton, Cooper, Fry, Wheeler, Whillier, Willier, Eldridge

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 September 06 11:34 BST (UK) »
HI Peter.

Wow!

Fancy your uncle knew that all those years ago and we had been under the impression that they had married in Cardiff! (Someone said that they had found the entry ~ it must have been for a relative).

We didn't even know where in Ireland they were from. I realised that there was a connection with 'Queenstown' only relatively recently, when I found some references, on a census, I think. That's when I tried to get the baptismal details of Lasaros ~ and succeeded.

You did give me the marriage info for Nicholas and Ellen before ~ thanks.
I'd like to know more about them.

All the best