Author Topic: lyradane, grenagh Parish records (county cork)  (Read 6633 times)

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
lyradane, grenagh Parish records (county cork)
« on: Tuesday 29 July 08 03:34 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could help me with parish records for the townland of Lyradane, Parish of Grenagh (Cork).
The records are as yet unavailable and we are planning a visit to the area in 2009 but I want to know where to go before I get there, which may involve asking permission from a Parish Priest to view his Church Records.

So my question is (given I can find no reference on the Net) - does anyone know which Church would be the Parish Church for Lyradane  & whether or not there are records held still?

Also whether or not there is a graveyard at Lyradane?

Any advise greatly appreciated as records outside of Cork City are hard to come by.

regards
Debra

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: lyradane, grenagh Parish records (county cork)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 10:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry I hit reply button by mistake.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline john joe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 February 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
The parish for Lyredane is in Grenagh.  The church is called St. Lachteen.  There are church records going back to the mid 1800s.  The pastor is Father Liam Kelleher. He is a dedicated pastor.  He is also a  expert photographer.   My cousins live in Lyredane.  If you would like Father Kelleher's telephone number.  If I can be of any help please advise.  I will be in Ireland from April through the month of May.                         

Offline john joe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 February 09 23:30 GMT (UK) »
What is the family name(s) from Lyredane.  The cemetery is located in Grenagh.  The area is visible on Google Earth.

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 February 09 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi John Joe,

The family name is Foley.  The furtherest I go back is to Timothy Foley & his wife Elizabeth (nee A'Hearn - variation on spelling).  Other name from the area is Cashman, Bartholomew & his sister Margaret also came to Australia.
Margaret married Denis Foley in Cork, presume in Grenagh, Bart married Mary Foley in Launceston, Tasmania.  Parents were Jeremiah & Catherine (nee Buckley). There was a third Cashman, James, who also came to Australia but sadly he died shortly after arriving.

My Foley tree starts with Timothy's children, the eldest Denis who by ages on documents was born around 1816 & immigrated to Australia in the early 1850s.  Along with his younger brothers Patrick & Timothy and sisters Ann & Mary.  On one document Timothy snr is referred to as "gentleman", mostly he is noted as a farmer. 
I did write to Father Kelleher last year but I've not received a reply however I appreciate parish business is more important than looking up the past.
If your cousin is ever in the Lyradene cemetery with time to spare and can find anything refering to our Foleys that would be wonderful.  My thinking is that both Timothy & Elizabeth died before their children immigrated.
Was planning a trip there this year but global crash has put that on hold for now, not so many pounds for my aussie dollar these days. 
I did have a researcher look up the parish records in Dublin but she said "the handwriting was the worst I've ever seen by a parish priest".   However her research appears to have started around 1829, so a bit late for what I have on the Foleys.  I did ask in my letter to Father whether or not the parish still held the records.  Do you know?
There is also reference in Denis' documents to the family being from "Lyradane Estate".  As your cousins lives there would they know if such an estate existed or was it a bit of Irish folk lore?
Anything on Lyradane would be gratefully appreciated, history, stories, folk lore, where it got it's name.  There isn't very much on the net about the town.

Kind regards
Debra.

Offline johnnymc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 January 10 08:18 GMT (UK) »
I was born and raised in lyredane but am now living in australia.
nice to correspond

Offline emf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 July 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out about my family who I think were from Lissavoura, part of the Grenagh parish.
I think my grandfather was william farrell, born in 1901, in Lissavoura according to the 1911 cenusus.

Does anyone know anything about the farrell family?

Did you have any luch accessing the parish of Granagh records?