Author Topic: David Stevenson Janet Stevenson  (Read 5792 times)

Offline Thermo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Stevenson Janet Stevenson
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:26 BST (UK) »
The only Fanny Stevenson I could find in 1861 Census was in Kilwinning aged 22.

David
Stevenson - Neilston, Paisley, Glasgow
Hillcoat - Paisley
Grant - Kinlochluichart, Kingussie
Paton - Lothian, Ayrshire
McCulloch Paisley, Glasgow
Watson - Ayrshire, Yorkshire, Glasgow
Ross - Forres
Regan - Monmouthshire
Carson - Belfast
Rankin - Glasgow and Paisley

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:37 BST (UK) »
So she must have died between 1851 and 1861. If she died on or after 1 January 1855 there will still be a death certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mrs. BT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 August 14 03:57 BST (UK) »
Age for Janet is 33 giving birth around 1828.

Yes. The census was taken around the end of March or beginning of April, about a quarter of the way through the calendar year. Therefore only about a quarter of people had had a birthday in census year, so they would be a year older by the end of the year. So it's a three to one chance that Janet was born in 1827 rather that 1828.

That matches the age of the widowed Janet Stevenson living with her unmarried sister Margaret Stevenson in 1881.

There is one 12-year-old Janet Stevenson in the 1841 census at Muir of Bannockburn, with parents Robert Stevenson and Fanny. There is a two-year-old daughter Margaret. In 1851 the same family is still at Muir of Bannockburn, Janet aged 22 and Margaret 14. You can see the full transcriptions at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Can you find Robert and/or Fanny in 1861? If so, there will be death certificates which should give you the names of their parents.

Robert Stevenson
Birth 26 April 1786 in St Ninians, Stirlingshire
Death 11 July 1866 in St Ninians, Stirlingshire
Married
Fanny Birkhill
Birth abt 1801 in Stirlingshire
This couple are my hubby's 3rd gr. Grandparents.
I have 6 Children for them.
John, Robert, Cathrine, James, Janet, Mararet.

Hubby come down from Cathrine.

I am interested in hearing about "Muir from Bannockburn" is this a little village or....

If I have the same Stevenson family, happy to hear from you.

Cheers from Australia

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 August 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
I am interested in hearing about "Muir from Bannockburn" is this a little village or....

It's Muir of Bannockburn, not Muir from Bannockburn. It is or was most probably a farm or croft rather than a village.

I have been trying to look for it in the digitised map collection at www.nls.uk but the connection where I am at the moment is very slow and too unreliable to load large images. You could try it for yourself. From the maps home page go for 'series maps', then select the first edition of the six-inch map, then the second option (zoomable map with overlay) and type Bannockburn in the search box.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mrs. BT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 August 14 11:55 BST (UK) »

It's Muir of Bannockburn, not Muir from Bannockburn. It is or was most probably a farm or croft rather than a village.

I have been trying to look for it in the digitised map collection at www.nls.uk but the connection where I am at the moment is very slow and too unreliable to load large images. You could try it for yourself. From the maps home page go for 'series maps', then select the first edition of the six-inch map, then the second option (zoomable map with overlay) and type Bannockburn in the search box.

Thank you so very much for your reply, I will go and see what I can find.
Cheers
Bev

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 November 14 12:17 GMT (UK) »
The Muir of Bannockburn is an area of land located immediately west of the site of the old Bannockburn hospital, which has recently been demolished. (as found today on an old map)
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott