Author Topic: KEOGHAN from Co. Monaghan 1830's.  (Read 16067 times)

Offline Kiwitaylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KEOGHAN from Co. Monaghan 1830's.
« on: Thursday 17 June 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find details of my Grandfathers family from Co. Monaghan. Spelt KEOGHAN on marriage certs but may have variations (McKeoghan, Keogan etc). Father Daniel KEOGHAN but unsure of his wife's name (Mary ??) - children Owen b.1834, John b.1835, Francis b.1837, Patrick b.1838, Joseph b.?? These children listed moved to New Zealand, on death certs in NZ some spelt McKeoghan. I do not have any birth certs, only marriage certs for 4 of them . In 1858 at Durham UK, Francis Keoghan m. Mary Doran from Co. Armagh (F. Edward M. Catherine Fife), they had my Gfather on the ship to NZ.
Also any info on Mary Doran would be good too. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Kiwitaylor
TAYLOR George m RICHARDSON Mary Ann - Australia/New Zealand
MEYNELL Newrick m SHEPERDSON Diana - Yorkshire/New Zealand
KEOGHAN - Ireland/New Zeland

Offline lawr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: KEOGHAN from Co. Monaghan 1830's.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if any relation or help to you but my gt grandma came form Monaghan  Margret Keogan b 1866, her parents were Joesph 11831, Jane 1841 they had Joesph 1868, Patrick 1876, Ellen 1888 she was born in Tow Law Co Durham as the family had moved there, not sure if any connection

Lawrence

Offline Kiwitaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Lawrence
Thanks for the reply. All I have is Co. Monaghan as place of birth so I am unsure of any details, the spelling on marriage certs Keoghan in UK but Kogan on shipping list, then McKeoghan on death cert in NZ.
I will keep your details for future ref in case there is a connection.

Thelma

Offline bonita

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 11 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonnie Guilford (nee Parker).  Mum Catherine Curran.  (Uncle Jerry's sister if this makes sense).

I am in York on holiday and will go to Durham most probably Tuesday.  Looking for family history.  All I have is Mary Doran married Francis Coogan / Keoghan 13/9/1858.  don't know what church or where to go in durham to look up records.  Any ideas?
Mary born 1841. (where or date details?  also don't have any info on great grand dad).
Any ideas of where to go and what to look for would be brilliant. 

Bonnie

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 June 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
I seem to recall contributing some information about this family on a Durham site a few years ago. They lived Crook and Tow Law before branching out . John Kogan son of Joseph and Catherine of Monaghan married Elizabeth Tatham at Bishop Auckland in 1852.
Several of their children married at Tow Law they were Catholics and the church registers are at the Durham County Record Office.

Good Luck,
J.T.A.

Offline Kiwitaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 June 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonnie
Yes I have you coming down from Edward Patrick & Lily Maud - so you are in MY family.  :D

I have Mary DORAN and Francis KEOGHAN (with that spelling) at St Cuthberts Church, Broom, Durham (GRO Durham 10a 328)
I have Mary DORAN born County Armagh, Ireland. Father Edward DORAN b. 1828? d. 1881 @ Conset, Durham UK. Mother Catherine FIFE.
Children of Francis & Mary - James Charles b 19.12.1859 @ Blackhill, Durham UK, Owen b 13.11.1861 @ English Channel (see below) Mary b 1864 Howick NZ, Francis b 1867 Cambridge NZ, Edward Patrick b 10.10.1869 Thames.

When they came on the Ravens Craig to NZ the spelling on the passenger list was KOGAN, likewise on the birth of Owen on the ship records.

Overseas registratistration event: Birth
Name: KOGAN, Owen 
Vessel: At Sea
Year: 1861
No: 38
Record source: GRO Marine Births Indices (Informal Certs 1-41)

Sorry but the reference of Tow Law is not familiar with me, or any posts a few years back.

Please if you are able to get any printouts for any of OUR relations while you are over there, can you scan a copy my way via PM. Owen is MY Grandfather.

Thelma

Offline Kiwitaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 June 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
I seem to recall contributing some information about this family on a Durham site a few years ago. They lived Crook and Tow Law before branching out . John Kogan son of Joseph and Catherine of Monaghan married Elizabeth Tatham at Bishop Auckland in 1852.
Several of their children married at Tow Law they were Catholics and the church registers are at the Durham County Record Office.

This reference is bit before my time of researching - is it possible for you to link me to this discussion please JT. I would like to look into this a bit further.  ???   :-\
Regards
Thelma

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 June 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
I have unsuccessfully searched for the thread but I don't remember what board it was on. Apart from the 1852 marriage I do have some notes on the Keogans of Tow Law which was the same family who moved from Crook. I also have the record of Francis Keogan's marriage to Mary Doran in 1858 at Brooms when they were living at Berry Edge, Consett but I don't see a connection between the two families other than I know the Tow Law family were from Monaghan and you say the Consett family were also from Monaghan where the name was uncommon so they could well have been a connection.

I note you have Edward Doran father of Mary born 1828? which can't be correct when Mary was married 1858. In 1861 there was an Edward Doran aged 60 at Consett who looks more like her father.

J.T.A,
I

Offline Kiwitaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 June 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
I note you have Edward Doran father of Mary born 1828? which can't be correct when Mary was married 1858. In 1861 there was an Edward Doran aged 60 at Consett who looks more like her father.

Yes I think you are right - I have not double checked this line of DORAN's yet, only what I was given so I think Edward would not have been 14 year when Mary was born. I also have his brother Thomas DORAN as died in Blackhill, UK but again I have not verified it.
It was 11:30pm when I got to read this and it turned on a few lights here - all of my family have had Grandfathers family as a brick wall for some time.
Thank you but I have managed to find that link and likewise I am unable to find the connection with Keogan/Keoghan. We have a Daniel as father to the sons mentioned 1834 - 1840?

Really hope Bonnie has some luck in Durham on certificates. :)

Thank you
Thelma