Author Topic: Neath and District First World War Memorial Volume -an appeal!‏  (Read 14622 times)

Offline Owainlawgoch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neath and District First World War Memorial Volume -an appeal!‏
« on: Thursday 25 August 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of writing a history of Neath and the Great War  1914-1918, with the idea of having a book published to coincide with the  centenary of the start of the conflict, in 2014.

The book will be a Memorial Volume of the men of the town and area who served, and particularly those who gave their lives. It will also tell the story of  how Neath went about the task of organising the recruitment and support  for thousands of its men.  The geographical areas covered are reflected in the war memorials I am taking as the basis for the research. These are Neath, Melyncryddan and  Briton Ferry (the Gnoll gates as well as the Briton Ferry memorial),  Resolven, Seven Sisters, Crynant, Cilfrew, Skewen, Bryncoch and Cadoxton.  These in themselves list nearly 700 men, and one woman from the area who  gave their lives. Over the past 5 years I have been compiling a database  that cross-references archival research with the Commonwealth War Graves  Commission information, the Soldiers Died in the Great War database, the  Census information from ancestry and the 1911 census. To that, I am  adding data from the individual war diaries from the PRO. I am also trying to put as many  faces to names as possible and have to date managed to get pictures of more than 60 of the men on the respective memorials. . Putting all these sources into one database is a mamoth  task, but it's coming along!   

Recently I 'went public' with an appeal through the Evening Post to  families from the area for photographs, or information on relatives from  Neath, Briton Ferry and area who participated in WW1. The response has  been superb and some information has come to light that would never  otherwise have done so.   I am now extending that appeal to the Rootschat community  for  any information that you think may help advance this project. Namely, any  information that could be gleaned from surviving photos, letters diaries  and arefacts. Also any information on other potential sources of  information.   I want to make the book as comprehensive as possible and a fitting tribute  to those who gave their lives. So please, if anyone out there has  anything that you think may help, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

With best regards Jon

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Neath and District First World War Memorial Volume -an appeal!‏
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 11 12:42 BST (UK) »
I'm a volunteer for the War Graves Photographic Project and I have photos of War Graves (CWGC and otherwise) from cemeteries in Neath.

If you want copies of those PM me with your address and I'll put them on disc for you.

Bev.
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Owainlawgoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
What a generous offer.  I'll get a PM off to you.

Many thanks indeed

Jon.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 August 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
Well done Bev!

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 August 11 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Jon  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

What a wonderful project and a fitting tribute to the brave men of the Neath area who gave their lives in the Great War. I hope that you will get plenty of help from Rootschatters from Glamorgan and across the globe.

Re PMs, new members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Owainlawgoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 11 05:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Morgan,

I look forward to contributing to the community.  And thank you for the advice on PMs, especially as this constitutes my third post!

All the best to you and Rootschat.

Jon.

Offline lucasyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 May 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
Jon, anyone else, I am trying to locate where my great great uncle is commemorated and I am hoping he is one of the 700 noted on the gates. Can anyone show me where online I can see the 700 names of the fallen please? thank you...Lucas

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 May 12 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon, I have a lot of family from the Neath area, but being Evans (typically), I've not really progressed further than census records at the moment.

I'm not asking (just) for myself, but would it be possible to pop a list of names you are interested in (possibly with addresses or next of kin) so people like me can look and see if anyone pops out - it may help people like me, and in turn we can pass on anything we may have (which granted is not actually a lot sorry  ;))
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 May 12 08:12 BST (UK) »
Oops, just noted the previous post - 700 names is a lot - ignore my request!
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg