Author Topic: Maerdy War Memorial  (Read 8418 times)

Offline observer1945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maerdy War Memorial
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 May 14 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have lived in Maerdy for 60 years being the local police officer for a large number of them and I have never seen any plaque dedicated to the servicemen and women who gave their lives during the wars. I have tried to get a definitive list so that I could put pressure on the council to create one. The memorial we have is a statue of the virgin Mary about 2 foot tall with no names what so ever. Most of the valleys villages have a substantial memorial with the names of the villagers who gave their lives. I have researched the CWGC records and have started to compile a list, this will no doubt be incomplete but once done local residents will be encouraged to update it with their relatives and local knowledge. Out of interest the cemetery at Maerdy / Ferndale is a Commonwealth Graves Commission Cemetery and has 27 war graves. About 2/3 years ago with the help of the then Plaid councillor Gerwyn Evans we contacted the CWGC and their local representative came and cleaned the Graves, which had not been done in years. I will be contacting the local British Legion shortly, with a view to starting a group to get the memorial improved with the names etc.  In relation to William Lewis Evans, RWF he was indeed from Pentre Rd and will be on the compiled list

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information Observer even though it appears to put the tin hat on the family legend referred to in my first post. But I'm sure there is no arguing with your pedigree and local knowledge. I wonder why names were not recorded on the memorial.
Your project to find the names sounds interesting. If you do progress with it I have biographical details and photos of both W L Evans and H R Owen as well as family memorabilia of the latter who was my grandmother's brother. Let me know if you want copies. As for J H Evans, even though he was back in N Wales before 1911, all his military records refer to him as a collier.
Good luck with your searching,
Chwiliwr

Offline observer1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for getting back to me, I've taken the research as far as I can at the moment and am going to put it together as a booklet so I can take it to the British Legion at Maerdy and try and get a group going to get a new memorial. Our library is due to close so I will leave a copy at the club with the request that if any of the residents know details of or believe their relatives were killed serving their country to leave details and we will amend the list. It would be great if it could be done before remembrance day. I would be really interested in a copy of what you have and with your permission I will include them in the booklet  (and I'll send you a copy) as they form a part of Maerdy's history and should be remembered by future generations here, my email address is lio2527@hotmail.com, if you require my home address please contact me via email and I'll send you the details. Best wishes and many thanks for all your interest. John Thomas

Offline brianthetaff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 May 14 16:48 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find Hugh Richard Owen/s on the CWGC website nor John Hugh Evans. William Lewis was with the RWF at Gallipoli and is on the Helles Memorial, but you may know this already. It seems strange that the Maerdy Memorial had no names on but the Ferndale one does. As a point of interest, a name from WWI was put on the Ferndale one just 2 years ago because the family had all moved away before the memorial was built and a nephew found it had not been done, and he got it organised.
Evans; Davies; Locke; Stafford; Lawrence; Moore; Angrave; Sparrow; Harrold; Billington; Wilson; Freestone; Horsley; Norton; Cave; Page; Kettell; Abell & Whapples.

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 May 14 14:51 BST (UK) »
Both are on CWGC. Sgt Hugh Richard Owen 28703 Royal Field Artillery date of death 30 Nov 1917 in Battle of Cambrai and Pte John Hugh Evans 290581 7th Bn RWF 26 Mar 1917 in Gaza.
Yes I had info. on William Lewis Evans thanks.
It does seem odd that the Maerdy fallen weren't named isn't it?
Chwiliwr

Offline observer1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, as you will have read the Maerdy War Memorial has no names there on, after help from several people, I have identified at least 70 people who should be remembered on our memorial, as a result I have contacted the RBL and local authority department dealing with memorials and applied to put this right. It will still take some doing but I am hoping to get this applied for, approved and completed by 11/11/2014. I have opened a face book page MAERDY MEMORIAL to keep people updated on my progress with the updating the Maerdy War Memorial, so that the people of Maerdy WILL REMEMBER THEM, BEST WISHES AND MANY THANKS WHO HAVE SUPPLIED NAMES AND DETAILS OF RELATIVES WHO SHOULD BE REMEMBERED ON THE MEMORIAL. John Thomas

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 June 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
there is a site on facebook called maerdy memorial they want people to put names of loved ones died in first ans second world wars it is a open group. carol oops sorry john did,nt read your message above
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.

Offline observer1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 July 14 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, a quick up date on the MAERDY MEMORIAL and the names that will be placed on it, it has been agreed it should be updated and we are waiting for the tenders to come back in. In the mean time I have produced a book with all the names details and many more facts related to the MAERDY FALLEN, Its with the printers and should be available in a week or two, if you go to the Maerdy Memorial on face book you can see the outer cover. MAERDY WILL REMEMBER AT LAST, best wishes John Thomas

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 July 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
Excellent news, John. Well done.

Chwiliwr