Author Topic: Bridget Mulvee or Bridget Muloy?  (Read 5698 times)

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget Mulvee or Bridget Muloy?
« on: Monday 11 March 13 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I hope someone can help me out. My gr grandmother was Bridget Mulvee born in Roscommon abt 1850 (taken from censuses). Bridget married Peter Bent in 1870 in the district of Bolton in Saint Gregory RC Church. They lived in Pendleton. On the copy of the Marriage certificate that I purchased, under Bridget Mulvee's name it is written "described in the certificate as Bridget Muloy" Does anyone know what this means? Was her name actually Muloy and not Mulvee that she used? Her mother Winifred also used the name Mulvee. I purchased Winifred Mulvee's death certificate (1888) and she was married to a James Mulvee who was a farmer. I can only assume that was in Ireland. On the 1871 census, Winifred is living with her daughter now Bridget Bent and she is a widow. Bridget's brother, Matthew, is also living with Bridget Bent.
If their name was Muloy, does anyone have any guesses as to why they would change to Mulvee?
thanks

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Mulvee or Bridget Muloy?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 13 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

with regards to the certificate, I assume it means that the name was recorded as Muloy rather than Mulvee. Lancashire BMD http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/index.php has both names - Mulvee and Muloy and the various possibilities are outlined for name discrepancies.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 13 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation (abt 1850s) shows just a few Mulvees in Roscommon- all in the same parish. http://www.failteromhat.com/post1845.php
You can also search Griffiths here http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 13 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your information. Am I allowed to put a copy of the marriage certificate on your site?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 13 18:53 GMT (UK) »
You may only post a portion of the certificate- the part which you are querying.
You could phone the registrar's office to ask what does it mean but in the list of explanations, it does mention serveal possibilities.

I just noticed that there references to James Mulvey in Griffiths Valuation. At that time, people were relying on what they heard and how good they were at spelling! So you do get variations.

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 13 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again,

Thanks for the info re James Mulvey.

Now I am wondering if perhaps the name described as Muloy was actually poor penmanship for Mulvey. It is certainly a possibility.

The family used Mulvee. There was a sister, Margaret Mulvee, who married James Kilner. She is named on her mother Winifred's death certificate. There was also a brother Matthew Mulvee who seems to have disappeared off the planet. perhaps moved to US.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 March 13 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Margaret married as Mulvey (according to Lancashire BMD)

heywood

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 March 13 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have found that Mulvey and Mulvee were used intermittently. There was another family who came from Roscommon at the same time and settled in Heywood Lancashire. They used the name Mulvee. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed from Mulvey to Mulvee. I think that they may have been cousins to my gr grandmother and she started using Mulvee. Do you a website in Roscommon that gives church records?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 March 13 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration for births did not begin until 1864 so you would be relying on Parish records.

http://roscommon.rootsireland.ie/ has a possible Brigid Mulvee 1852 together with a James 1846 and a Catherine 1840 with parents James and Winifred using the free index. Records can be downloaded for a payment. I think people find these records vary in content and quality.