Author Topic: Protestant church birth records for Athlone 1859-63  (Read 6391 times)

Offline dooglebury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Protestant church birth records for Athlone 1859-63
« on: Friday 10 January 14 13:34 GMT (UK) »
trying to find records of 3 children born in Athlone to army family serving thetre

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Protestant church birth records for Athlone 1859-63
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 January 14 13:37 GMT (UK) »
On another thread-
... He is not on the 1861 census but I have found out he was in Athlone and was discharge in 1864 from there as a corporal and has a salary from Chelsea Pension. He had 3 children while serving in Ireland first one b1860 2nd 1862 which I have  a birth certificate for in Athlone thro the army records and the 3rd 1863/64.  tyhey all appear on the 1871 census in England, so he must have married between 1851 and 1859, The birth of the 2nd child only give the first name of Eliza as his wife no maiden name, and she must5 have died around 1864, as he remarried in York in 1869 where he was posted when he was dishcharged from the Army into the 2nd West Yorks Militia, but as you can imagine with a name like Jon Smith it is proving difficult to find where he may have married, so your info of where he might have been stationed before being shipped to Athlone may prove helpfull  His commanding officer was a Cpat E.H.Lennon on the 2nd childs birth cert. the other 2 childrens births are not recorded by the army records of birth & marriages. so hopefully I may find something from you message to me

Protestant can refer to several denominations such as Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc.

Added- is there a reason you've posted on Roscommon board? Athlone is in Westmeath.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlone
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 January 14 14:01 GMT (UK) »
The army barracks in Athlone is on the Roscommon side of the Shannon which could be the reason for posting in Roscommon rather than Westmeath

If you apply for a civil birth record you will have both parents names which will help your search
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline dooglebury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 January 14 14:47 GMT (UK) »
My problem is I have one of the  birth cert. the middle child b1861 recorded in Army records in Athlone, but only the christian name of the wife!! there is no other record in the army records, so presume they may have been christened  in a church. St Marys church of Ireland,  I think is the protestant church, I have tried the telephone number given but it does not pick up, is there a code for Ireland?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 January 14 15:16 GMT (UK) »
You will have a number starting with a zero.....cross out the zero... then dial 00353 and the rest of the number
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dooglebury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 January 14 15:59 GMT (UK) »
thanks all will give it a go

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 January 14 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Link to details on Athlone Records
According to this source Athlone St. Peter's Church of Ireland Parish records are held by The Representative Church Body Library, Braemore Park, Rathgar, Dublin 14. Tel 353 (0)1-4923979
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 January 14 17:30 GMT (UK) »
any Church of Ireland baptisms I have seen for Dublin do not include mothers original surname, so may not add much information in addition to the army birth record you already have.

RootsIreland seem to have some records for County Roscommon, so may be worth a look there for the other children, although I dont know if they include St. Peters. They charge to view each of the transcripts.

Offline dooglebury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 January 14 18:56 GMT (UK) »
had a look on both roscommon and meath and no luck.  I thought by law a birth had to be registered even if  the family were serving i n the army as mine were, it seems odd to have registered the m middle child and not the other 2 they all came back to England in  1864 and are on the 1871 census, father then re-married as his wife (who I cannot find) must have died and he started another family his first 3  children disappeared,  I will try
St Peters records
thanks