Author Topic: Bridget Answer from co Meath  (Read 11182 times)

Offline answer1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget Answer from co Meath
« on: Tuesday 03 December 13 05:50 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the maiden name of Bridget Answer who was married to Sergeant Matthew Answer from the 5Th Regiment of Foot. I imagine they were married some time before 1835 as their son
Matthew was born in 1835, Mary Ann in 1838, Elizabeth 1841 and James in 1843.I believe she came from Navan West Meath. as these are the addresses in the census.I am asking for anyone who might look up the Parish Registers I would be very grateful.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Answer from co Meath
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 07:12 GMT (UK) »
This may be unrelated but just in case. I found a birth registration of a Bridget Answer in Dublin  1844  Volume 925 Page 46 for the 5th Foot Regiment on the GRO Regimental Birth Index

Could this be another child that possibly died, with the mother's maiden name listed?

Kay

Edit the GRO state that there is  no index for Regimental marriages or deaths, however, for Regimental marriages, if a regiment and a year can be supplied, they can undertake a  search http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#GettingStarted

Edit - Just checked and I understand sadly the mother's name is not listed on the Regimental births

Offline answer1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thank you for your searches. I did not even know Mathew born 1809 was in the Army. I was searching for his wife's maiden name when all of this wonderful information has been given to me. All I had was the 1851 census . I now know Bridget died between 1843 and 1851 as Mathew is now a widower.
I know a different  Matthew was in the 5Th Regiment of foot and was discharged 23rd of June 1872 after 21 years 11 months and 11 days. Matthew ,their son, married Hannah Moone in Athlone , Ireland 2/12/1835. First son Matthew died soon after birth, Alice Anna 1867 in India, Ellen 1868 , Ellen died 1869.in India, another daughter Nelly cannot find her in the later census, Female Anser in Navan  Meath This may be our Baby, Bridget without a name.Annie from Flowerhill in Ireland 1886,William 1881,Mary 1887 ,a second Ellen 1891.
Matthew Discharged 26 Sept 1885 to Commanding officer in Dublin. They are mostly in the Dublin ares in 1901 and 1911 census
I am very happy to have all of this information this week when I started this week I only had a Bridget I was looking for. Thank you every one of you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Also posted on MAYO board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=669899.new#new

Thanks, Aghadowey- just posted there but I think the info was already known.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline answer1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the information you gave. It was very helpful. I seem to have logged into the wrong site but all is well. I would still love to have Bridget's maiden name.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 December 13 17:25 GMT (UK) »
He was a soldier and would have moved around with the army so the birthplaces of the children are not an indicator of Bridget's own origins.

Matthew Anser senior's army papers show that his only foreign service with 5th Regiment was 2 years in Mauritius; that seems to have been right at the end of his regular army career 1847-9 and it is possible that Bridget died in Mauritius.

Matthew Answer junior's army papers show that he joined up aged 14 in Devonport in June 1847 and that he was born in Nenagh, Co Tipperary in 1833. The 5th Regiment was stationed in Nenagh in 1833 so that rings true. There is no birth date shown on the Dover baptism record. His army papers also show that he was a Drum Major at one point which fits with his occupations on the 1901 and 1911 Ireland censuses (Professor of Music and Bandmaster).  The birth places shown on those census records are England and Kent if I remember rightly, so that is a bit of a puzzle!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 December 13 19:02 GMT (UK) »
The 5th Foot depot company was at Fermoy in 1832 (the bulk of the regiment being then in Gibraltar) so Co. Cork would be a possibility for Bridget's origins.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline answer1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 December 13 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your information. It is very confusing with the 2x Mathew and Matthew's so you have been wonderful.
 I am also blessed with another Matthew in the same family but from a different village in Lincolnshire. I was confusing him with these 2 but I believe he died in the Chelsea Hospital 24/6/1864.
So it's off to Cork I go. Bye