Author Topic: John Scott GOULD, North Curry  (Read 8497 times)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John Scott GOULD, North Curry
« on: Tuesday 14 February 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Born about 1791, died 1846, lived Moredon House, North Curry. His wife Sarah Barrett survived him by many years and died 1871. They were very wealthy: I'm interested to know what his origin was and where the money came from! I believe that John Scott's father was John Gould of Ilminster, married to Sarah Scott.
My connection is with the Barretts - my g-grandfather was one of a flood of beneficiaries in Sophia's will: there were over 80 cash bequests and nine or ten pieces of real estate named as well.
Many thanks
Graham
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Scott GOULD, North Curry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 22:53 GMT (UK) »
His wife Sarah Barrett

1841 shows

Sarah Gould 75
John Scott Gould 50 independent means 
Sophia Gould 35
all b Somerset
HO107 Piece 941/1  Folio 10 Page 13

Sophia could have been his sister or his wife but there is no Sarah in the household
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - Gentleman's Mag gives the marriage of John Scott Gould and Sophia Barrett at Taunton 14th Oct 1840.

Joshn Scott Gould's memorial in North Curry reads:  "He hath dispersed abroad and given to the poor" and the love of God and his Saviour governed all his actions which produced in him that kindness and gentleness of disposition with a humility of heart that made him beloved and respected by all who knew him.

But his dispersing to the poor left him plenty - Gentleman's Mag again: "He was a munificent benefactor to the Taunton and Somerset Hospital, as well as a liberal patron of various local charities in the neighbourhood: his immense wealth is estimated at nearly £500,000."

I have Sophia's Will and it really is a monster document: the marriage was childless so property is distributed all over.

So - just where did this immense wealth come from, I wonder? He had lands in Somerset, but how did the family get them? I'm wondering if this was from India - the Barretts had India connections and my family history suspicions are in action!

Just hoping thereis someone out there with some inside knowledge of the Gold family.....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline babu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:44 BST (UK) »
Just discovered and fascinated to read the postings on John Scott Gould - who, according to "A Family Biography" (1908) by my cousins Catherine & Isabella Scott, was the son of a John Gould, (occupation = Woolen Trade) and my 2C 5R Sarah Scott.  Sarah was christened on 18th Dec 1763 at Ilton, Somerset, and she married John Gould on 26th September 1786 at Ilton.  Thus I believe we can identify the Sarah Gould aged 75 in the 1841 Census as John Scott Gould's mother.

John Scott Gould's wealth may well have stemmed from his father's involvement in the Woolen Trade?  Unfortunately Catherine & Isabella have left us with no further information on this.

A couple of questions: 
    Do you have any record of siblings of JSG, or was he, as I suspect, an only child?
    And does Sophia's monster Will mention any Scott or Gould kin?

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:33 BST (UK) »
No mention of siblings of John Scott Gould - so I imagine he was an only child or that others died in infancy.

Sarah Gould is indeed John Scott Golud's mother - she gets a mention in his Will as living at Moredon.

Sophia Gould names no Goulds in her Will but there are the following: Herbert Scott Gould Miles, whose mother was a Barrett; Elizabeth Scott Gould Hill, whose mother was also a Barrett; and some Scotts as well - Mary Anne, widow of Robert Scott; Ann Selina Scott; Mary Brantford Scott.

John Scott Gould named some Goulds in his Will: George, Phoebe and John, all cousins.

I can let you have a transcript of the Wills and some notes if that will help. The wool trade sounds a possibility - certainly there was lots of money around!

Best wishes

Graham

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
You may already have this info;

Marriage;
26 Sept 1786, St Peter, Ilton, Somerset
John GOULD of Ilminster Parish
Sarah SCOTT
Witnesses, Robt Hooper Scott and ?Tapisott
By banns, all signed

They may have had another Child who died;
Baptisms,
St Mary, Ilminster, Somerset,
Parents JOHN/SARAH Gould
ROBERT HOOPER Gould, 31 Dec 1788 (Birth 18 Nov 1788)
JOHN SCOTT Gould, 31 Dec 1788 (birth 3 Aug 1787)

Source FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Trish, another piece for the jigsaw - I did know about the marriage but had missed the presumed brother. Of course his Christian names match the witness to the marriage.

Offline babu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
Graham- I would love to see the Monster Will & y'r notes on same . . . Mary Ann Scott (née Taylor) and her late husband Robert Scott were both distant cousins of mine, as was Anna Selina Scott.  I suspect that the Mary Scott I have in that area of my family may be Mary Brantford Scott - the Will could perhaps corroborate this. I can be found at rootsweb.only at virgin.net
Astonishingly, a Lt-General Sir Herbert Scott Gould MILES, GCB, GCMG, GBE, CVO (1850-1926) married a cousin from an entirely distant branch of my family, Alice PARKER!  According to the info I've dug out, HSGM's parents were Maj-Gen William Miles, HEICS & Ann HURD - haven't yet found his GOULD or BARRETT connection.  There could, of course, be more than one HSGM!
Trish - thanks for those records, they all help to fill in small details.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
Herbert S G Miles was son of Maj Gen William Miles and Ann Hurd Barrett. There was dispute over both William's and Ann's Wills - there is some paperwork in the Chancery files at TNA, and I have hopes to go and have a look. My notes on him say -

Army List gives d of b and: Ensign 101st Foot 4 Jan 1869; Lt 1870; Capt 1876; Major Royal Munster Fusiliers 1st July 1881; Lt Col 1888, Col 1903. Posted as Commandant of Staff College 1st May 1898, awarded MVO. There are other Barrett connections to the Munster Fusiliers.

Kelly's Handbook of 1908 says he was general commanding troops in Cape Colony 1903-4, director of recruiting and organisation at HQ from 1904. Address given as  6 Eaton Square, SW. Also states that he was a barrister of the Inner Temple.

Governor of Gibraltar, 11 Jul 1913 -  9 Jul 1918. He wrote the foreword to the 2nd Munsters' WWI history, by which time he was Lt Gen., G.C.B., G.C.M.G., G.B.E., C.V.O