Author Topic: Sarah White, born around 1817, Wells  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah White, born around 1817, Wells
« on: Saturday 18 October 14 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone help with a baptism for a Sarah White, born around 1817, possibly in Wells? The baptisms and marriage found below were on FamilySearch; unfortunately FreeREG baptisms for St Cuthbert's are not yet available for 1740-1826.

I have the parish marriage entry at St Cuthbert's, Wells on 10 April 1837, of Sarah White and Richard Leigh, both of the parish. One of the witnesses was Mary Ann White.

In 1841, Sarah is recorded in Wells, born in county, with 2 children, John and Elizabeth.

By 1845, Sarah and Richard are in Southwark, Surrey, with 2 more children, Mary Ann and Walter. Sadly Sarah died on 6 June 1845, aged 28. 

Using the age given on her death certificate, I found a baptism in St Cuthbert's, Wells, on 6 April 1817, daughter of James - a labourer - and Hannah White, abode East Wells.

I then found further baptisms for children born to the same couple (William 1815, John 1819, Mary Ann 1822 and James 1824), and a wedding of James White to Hannah Dinning on 10 Feb 1814, at St Cuthbert's.

Given the dates, the Mary Ann sister / witness at the marriage and then a child born to Sarah and Richard also called Mary Ann, this looked a good bet for the right family.

However, in a related post yesterday, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=702555.0 looking for info on Hannah Dinning, a burial turned up which has caused me to re-look at this.... at St Cuthbert's in 1822, Sarah White, age 5, abode East Wells (and one for a James White aged 2 in 1826). If these are the children baptised as children of James and Hannah then Sarah is clearly not my husband's 3* great grandmother  :'(

Any help with this would be much appreciated. Many thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....