Author Topic: Dunn/Dunne of Cloonagh Beg, Clonaslee  (Read 15506 times)

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dunn/Dunne of Cloonagh Beg, Clonaslee
« on: Thursday 31 January 13 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of Peter Dunn and Mary McCabe of Cloonagh Beg in Clonaslee parish.  Their son, my gr-gr-grandfather, William was born October 10, 1826.  In 1850 he immigrated to the United States and after a few years in Lowell, Massachusetts settled in Decatur, Illinois.  Three siblings also came to the United States:  Bernard, Peter, and Mary.  The 1901 census of Cloonagh Beg lists John Dunne, aged 86, and his family.  I am assuming that John and William were brothers.  John Dunne and Mary Anne (Murray?) had the following known children:  Peter, Bridget, Bernard, John, and William. 
The obituary of Mary Dunn, who I mentioned above, is dated May of 1895 and references "two brothers and one sister still living in Ireland".  I am assuming that John Dunne was one of these brothers.  Are there other researchers and descendants out there of Peter Dunn and Mary McCabe of Cloonagh Beg? 

Thanks,
Phil Tomlinson
Illinois, USA
Catholic families of the Amounderness region of Lancashire, England:  Tomlinson, Bamber, Gillow, et. al.
Dunn, Dempsey, McCabe from the Clonaslee area of Laois, Ireland.
Nolan, Kelly from Tipperarry, Ireland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dunn/Dunne of Cloonagh Beg, Clonaslee
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 February 13 12:33 GMT (UK) »
1901 census summary for Cloonagh_Beg Townland

Dunne individuals in four of the six households listed

a mother (widow) & son Maria (age 57) & Joseph (34)
 family with parents Peter (43) & Mary (36) and their 6 children, also Peter's brother Bernard (37)
 Michael Dunne (48) and his sister Julia (41) - both single
 John (86) & Mary (69) with sons, daughter & daughter in law

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 February 13 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I found this information just the other day, which was very exciting for me and explains why I am suddenly posting requests involving Cloonaslee.  I am assuming that John, age 86, was the older brother of my ancestor William, who was born in 1826 and immigrated to the U.S. in 1850.  From looking at the map Cloonagh Beg would seem to have a small population so I am very confident this is a branch of my family.  My William Dunn's headstone in Decatur, Illinois reads "A native of Cloonagh Beg, Queens County, Ireland".
Catholic families of the Amounderness region of Lancashire, England:  Tomlinson, Bamber, Gillow, et. al.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 February 13 12:43 GMT (UK) »
your problem is going to be the dates - the parish records dont go back far enough (1849) to help with William or John baptisms..

Total population of the townland in 1901 was just 30 people, so narrows it down quite a bit

Moderator Note : I'll move these last few replies over to the other thread. Leave this one clear for the cemetery query...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 February 13 13:00 GMT (UK) »
based on some extracted births on FamilySearch, I think that Mary Anne's maiden name may be Murray...

see : Dunne / Murray extracted births

Based on children's ages etc it appears that their marriage would have been before 1864, so no civil cert will be available, but should be within the dates covered by the parish records. RC record from this timeframe dont usually include father's names, but the witness and residences (if included) might help establish a connection...

1901 census return for reference of others : John Dunne household, Coolnagh Beg townland

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 February 13 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link!  Off to work now, will delve in more over the weekend.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 February 13 13:23 GMT (UK) »
One more for you... list of heads of household for Cloonagh Beg from Griffith's valuation (a taxation survey) dated 1851. Several Dunne listings... Patrick, Martin & Peter, all leasing the properties from a Francis P. Dunne. Francis is the immediate Lessor listed for these properties, he may be a middleman for a major landowner, rather than the owner of the property. He's also listed as immediate lessor in several other properties in other townlands in the same civil parish - i.e. Kilmanman.

Cloonaghbeg townland

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 February 13 19:35 GMT (UK) »
A couple of deaths, that give the address of Clonabeg-Coolabeg.
There are a lot of Dunne burials in Clonaslee.
--
William Dunne; 65, farmer, married, Coolbegh, 4/5/1970

Peter Dunne; 70, farmer, married, Cloonabeg, 25/3/1978

Annie Dunne; 87, widow, Cloonabeg, 16/7/1997

Nuala Dunne; 52, married, 4/10/1997
--
Kilmamman graveyard;
Pat Dunne; May 1924 (14) Clonabeg
=============
Jack

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 February 13 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jack (and you too again Shane).  Do you have access to the Cloonaslee burials?  And if so are there any Dunne burials that with birth dates that date to the early to mid 19th century?  And anything for the Dunne's listed in the 1851 valuation (Patrick, Martin, and Peter)?

Phil