Author Topic: Littles from Dumfriesshire  (Read 11628 times)

Offline littlej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Littles from Dumfriesshire
« on: Wednesday 06 December 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Looking at gravestones in Kirkpatrick Juxta whilst researching the Little family, I found memoriams to two family members who died in Jamaica around 1815/16. Anyone any ideas what two young men from a Dumfriesshire farming family would be doing in Jamaica at that time?
Is it possible they just emigrated in search of a better life?

Jac

PEAKE & DAVENPORT (Devonport), Altrincham, Cheshire
MURRAY, Altrincham, Cheshire,  Aston, Staffs & North Meols, Lancs
LITTLE,  Kirkpatrick Juxta, Dumfriesshire & Gloucestershire
WILSON,  Malton, N. Yorks
HENDERSON, somewhere in Scotland (early days yet)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Littles from Dumfriesshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi jac

Reading the Old Statistical accounts (1790s) http://edina.ac.uk/statacc/ , it was quite common for young men to go seek their fortunes and return.

There were quite a few changes in land tenure at the time as well - leases changed from the usual 19 years to a shorter time and had 'improving' clauses. This meant that it was more difficult to follow in father's footsteps.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline littlej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I thought it may be something like that. Knowing that there was not much likelihood of work on the land for everyone, I suppose emigration would seem very attractive.

Thanks again

Jac
PEAKE & DAVENPORT (Devonport), Altrincham, Cheshire
MURRAY, Altrincham, Cheshire,  Aston, Staffs & North Meols, Lancs
LITTLE,  Kirkpatrick Juxta, Dumfriesshire & Gloucestershire
WILSON,  Malton, N. Yorks
HENDERSON, somewhere in Scotland (early days yet)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 22:22 GMT (UK) »
One of my ggg grandfather's brothers went to New York in 1812 and died there in 1823. His eldest brother had died during the Napoleonic Wars, so ggg granddad inherited the lease. His other brother went to Canada in 1826 and he finally succumbed to the cost of improving leases in 1833 and moved to Wales - which is why I'm Welsh  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Cinderelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 December 08 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Looking at gravestones in Kirkpatrick Juxta whilst researching the Little family, I found memoriams to two family members who died in Jamaica around 1815/16. Anyone any ideas what two young men from a Dumfriesshire farming family would be doing in Jamaica at that time?

Jac

Those are probably a couple of my relatives..... did you happen to take a photo ?

Keeping my fingers crossed in Canada.

Cinderelly

Wul

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 December 08 09:57 GMT (UK) »

Jac

Those are probably a couple of my relatives..... did you happen to take a photo ?

Keeping my fingers crossed in Canada.

Cinderelly

The Little family was huge in those days, many people are related to them, me included!

The earliest I am aware of being Janet Little born 1688 in Canonbie Dumfriesshire....

Offline Cinderelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 December 08 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I was lucky enough in my Little research to find some relatives already thank goodness.

They provided me with a nice tree....it goes back to 1707 with William Little and Jean Johnstone. They had a son named John who married Katherine Marjoribanks. John and Katherine had four children together that we know of , Samuel , Jean, Margaret and William. I come from the Samuel split.

I do have some Janets in the line. I'll take a closer look when I have a few mintues :)

Offline Cinderelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 December 08 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I've got 9 Janet Littles in my line and some ladies who have Janet as a middle name. Quite popular !

Wul

« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 December 08 23:16 GMT (UK) »
I've got 9 Janet Littles in my line and some ladies who have Janet as a middle name. Quite popular !

Grizel Little, b.1721 Milntown, Langholm Mill, Dumfriesshire?