Author Topic: Saint. Leonard, Aston Clinton- Help with place name please  (Read 2743 times)

Offline sheila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Saint. Leonard, Aston Clinton- Help with place name please
« on: Friday 25 May 07 14:12 BST (UK) »
I am looking at the will of Sarah Gomm and am having difficulty reading a place name. Perhaps someone with more local knowledge might be able to help please.

I have attached the part of the original and a close up of the word I am struggling with. I think it reads

This is the last will and testament of Sarah Gomm of ? in the Hamlet of St.Leonard in the parish of Aston Clinton in the county of Bucks. Could the ? be Innbridge? or any other ideas please.
Burgess-Essex , London
Shelton, Hiett, Gould, Gallagher, Herrington- London.
Wilson, Hertfordshire, London.
Carruthers, Spedding , Wilkinson , Harrison , Wilson, Lamb, Bell, Mather, Dumfriesshire , cUMBERLAND
Straughan, Frater, Wilson, Adams, Miller, Atkinson, Stewart, Urwin, Newton - Northumberland
Oxford, Garrard - Sufolk
Kirtland, Burnard - Oxon
Bird, Cook, Carter, Turpin, Cousins- Essex
Monaghan- Sligo, Northumberland
Burrowes-Oxon , London
Rose, Bucks,O

Offline Kaysy

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Saint. Leonard, Aston Clinton- Help with place name please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 07 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just noted your message, went into Google, entered Aston Clinton, then scrolled down to WIKIPEDIA, there it mentions Traditionally there were three Hamlets, one of them was DUNDRIDGE. Will this be of help.
Regards,
Kaysy
Buckinghamshire. Gt Marlow. Harris, Rockall/ell, Rackstraw, Frith, Howard, Martin. Bedfordshire. Clophill, Flitton with Silsoe. White, Parslow, Denton, Woodcraft, Waple. Hampshire. Huish. Surrey Kingston on Thames, Parslow. Cambridgeshire. Over, Willingham. Ginn, Hayden.

Offline sheila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 May 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Kaysy
  It might be the answer but I'm not sure if the first letter is a D or not. The best possibility yet .

Sheila
Burgess-Essex , London
Carruthers, Spedding , Wilkinson , Harrison , Wilson, Lamb, Bell, Mather, Dumfriesshire , cUMBERLAND
Straughan, Frater, Wilson, Adams, Miller, Atkinson, Stewart, Urwin, Newton - Northumberland
Oxford, Garrard - Sufolk
Kirtland, Burnard - Oxon
Burrowes-Oxon , London
Rose, Bucks,O

Offline Bucksgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 May 07 15:28 BST (UK) »
There is a Hawridge in that area

Jenny
Dundas, Angus Scotland / Earp, Staffs / Langford, London / Kipling, Hull /  Peel, Cumber / Green & Common, Northumb / Raw, Yorks / Ball, Stevens, Folly, Morrice, Montague, Beeson, Peedle, Peddle & Tucker all Bucks

Offline Kaysy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 May 07 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny, I agree with you the first letter does not look like a D, in Google I entered Dundridge Bucks, there were a couple of things of interest, one a family tree, one round the 1500's mentioned a Richard Baldwin, born Aston Clinton, Died Dundridge Parish Aston Clinton.
Best of luck,
Regards,
KAYSY
Buckinghamshire. Gt Marlow. Harris, Rockall/ell, Rackstraw, Frith, Howard, Martin. Bedfordshire. Clophill, Flitton with Silsoe. White, Parslow, Denton, Woodcraft, Waple. Hampshire. Huish. Surrey Kingston on Thames, Parslow. Cambridgeshire. Over, Willingham. Ginn, Hayden.

Offline sheila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 May 07 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kayse and Jenny
  Thank you both for your help this afternoon. It's great to get other's opinions. I went back to the will to look for words starting with a D or H and came up with Daughter. Looks like Dundridge it is.

Thanks again
  Sheila
Burgess-Essex , London
Oxford, Garrard - Sufolk
Kirtland, Burnard - Oxon
Burrowes-Oxon , London
Rose, Bucks,O

Offline Kaysy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 May 07 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila, Pleased to have helped with your query Sorry about the mix up on the names, Jenny instead of Sheila.
Regards,
KAYSY

Offline Allegra28

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 July 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Sheila,
I have just seen your post. I too have a copy of this will and a translation into modern English. I am directly descended from this Gomm family. The place is Dundridge. There are photos of the farm and buildings on the Bucks website. What I loved most about the will was Sarah leaving all ' her wearing apparel' to her granddaughter....if you are still interested get in touch. This family is very well documented.