Author Topic: Ellen, William and Gilbert CUTLER  (Read 6565 times)

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ellen, William and Gilbert CUTLER
« on: Monday 18 April 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for details on the marriage and lives of Ellen Cutler and William Cutler. They were son and daughter of William Cutler and Agnes Birch, who married in Lambeth in 1873. They had eight children, and Ellen and William were the eldest. Gilbert was the youngest. According to the 1911 Census, William and Agnes had eight children, of whom seven were still alive. However I have been unable so far to find the eighth child.

Ellen was born in 1875 in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. She is seen in the 1881 Census with the family in Leeds, Yorkshire, and again in 1891 with the family back in High Wycombe, working as a Pupil Teacher.

William was born in 1877 in Leeds, Yorkshire. He is seen on both the 1881 and 1891 Censuses with the family in Leeds and High Wycombe. I can't pinpoint him after 1901.

Gilbert was born in 1888 at High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, and appears on the 1891 and 1901 Censuses with the family. Again, I can't find him after 1901.

I am looking for any help in locating these people's marriages and deaths, and any Census references you can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen, William and Gilbert CUTLER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 11 17:10 BST (UK) »
I will add that I just found some old marriage certificates upstairs that include these people --

On 18 December 1875, at High Wycombe Parish Church, William Cutler and Agnes Cutler were witnesses to the marriage of Alfred Barber and Julia Birch (Agnes' sister). This means that they moved to Leeds after this date and before September 1877.

On 15 April 1895 at High Wycombe Parish Church, R. Stallwood, Ralph Tyzack, Patience Stallwood and Ellen Cutler were all witnesses to the marriage of Walter Henry Tyzack to Ada Stallwood

On 18 November 1900 at High Wycombe Parish Church, Francis Cutler, Florence Cutler, Agnes Maud Cutler and her future husband Ralph William Ellis were all witnesses to the marriage of Ralph's sister, Alice Eliza East, to William John Castle.

Matt

Offline Lincslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
There is a public tree on Ancestry which has Ellen Cutler b 1875 Bucks married to a James Frederick Endersby of Hertfordshire. Regrettably there seems to be a problem at the moment accessing trees. But I have had a quick look and can't see anything yet for that marriage.

Jo

Offline Lincslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
Ellen appears to be on the 1911 census, married 9 years and with two children Doris 1903 and Harold 1904 living in Herts.

Jo

Offline Lincslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
Sept Q 1901 for the marriage of Ellen and James in Ware, Herts.

Jo

Offline Lincslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
The 1911 census has Agnes and William snr living in HW with a single son called Harry b 1885 in Leeds Yorks. Bit of a coincidence especially as Harry is not on any other censuses.

Perhaps he married as a Harry.

Jo

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Harry the son of William and Agnes CUTLER of 64 Bridge Street, High Wycombe, chairmaker, was baptised at St John's Church, Desborough Road, High Wycombe on 29 May 1895. 

Gilbert the son of the same parents was baptised at the same place on the same day.
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 April 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help, Lincslass.

Harry, born in Leeds, married Rose A. Newell in 1913 in Wycombe RD.

I have found Gilbert - he emigrated to Sydney, NSW, where he married in 1916 and had three children. His wife died in 1968, aged 81, and he followed in 1971 aged 83.

There is a marriage in Dec qtr 1902 at Wycombe for this William (possibly?):

Marriages Dec 1902
Cutler  William    Wycombe  3a 1526   
Green  Nellie     Wycombe  3a 1526   
Howard  David Nicholas R     Wycombe  3a 1526   
Howell  Jesse Neal     Wycombe  3a 1526   
NORVELL  Clarissa     Wycombe  3a 1526

However, he is nowhere to be seen on the 1911 Census. I can only find his cousin, William Cutler, born 1870, who married Gertrude Thompson in 1896 in London.

So - Ellen and Gilbert have been found but on the search goes for William.

Thanks again Lincslass, and thanks Orpheus for the baptismal information.

Matt :)

Offline Amyou

• RootsChat Member
  • Charles Stone, GG Grandfather, 1819 to 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, just noticed your post! You've probably got all this already, but just in case.

William cutler married Clarissa Norvell in 1902, they had a son William Robert Cutler, born 1904. Gilbert and William travelled together to New Zealand. Departed London 17 March 1909. Arrived in Wellington, New Zealand on board the Rimutaka. Then migrated to Sydney NSW Australia. They were both furniture makers. Lilian Sharpe (Gilbert's fiancée), Clarissa and son travelled directly to Sydney, Australia. They travelled on the Orsova, departing on 15 October 1909 from London.

Gilbert and Lillian were married in 1910 and she gave birth to Gilbert Francis Cutler on 21 February 1913. Lillian died of Lysol poisoning, apparently by her own hand, on 25 February 1913. Gilbert senior married again in 1916.

William died in Hurstville in 1958. His son, William Robert, was a chemist and married in 1930 to Gladys May Martin and died 28 February 1999, aged 95. Perhaps he found the elixir of life!

hope you find this of some use.

Ann  ;D