Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 149110 times)

Offline kittykateuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 04 September 08 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Scrimnet
Not having much luck finding the lodge in Wood Green
I have checked Grand Middlesex Banner 1930
Grand lodge of England 1940
No lodges in Wood Green
I may be able to get a check on Grand Lodge England 1920 (after the weekend)
My guess he was in the Grand Executive Banner as they did have lodges in that part of town. The only problem is all their records were destroyed in a fire at Manor House years ago  :(
I do have a few names of brothers that were founder members of lodges (but not many)
For him to pawn his jewels (brothers still use that excuse when they forget to bring their jewels to a lodge  ;D ) My guess is they were Grand Exec because if he was high up he would have been a knight & the jewel is worth a few bob, they see on ebay for over hundred pound now! :o
I will attach a picture of mine so you can see what I mean (its the large cross one)
I will keep digging for you!
What was his name?
Den

I'm really sorry if this sounds stupid, but I know nothing about the Buffs so I'm having a bit of trouble understanding all the posts.

The third medal in your picture (the big cross) - What was it called and what does it stand for?

I've been trying to identify the medals in this photo of my Great-Great Grandfather  John "Jack" Hainsworth (1846-1912).  The one in the centre looks very similar to your cross.

I don't really have anything else other than this photo.  I know he was a weaver in North Brierly, Yorkshire from the censuses.

Do you happen to recognise the other two medals?

I really do appreciate any insight you can offer, as I'm a bit lost as to where I can start researching this.

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 04 September 08 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,
I wonder if anyone can help me with my GG Grandfather, whose photo shows him in full regalia, none of which I understand.

Can anyone tell me anything about what the various insignia are and what they mean?

Many thanks
Martin
Mosley; Pugh; Thorpe; Webster; Hill; Ibberson; Nicholson; Moody; Maxfield; Newbold; Lee; Adams; Walker; Tesh; Barnes; Brittlebank; Cowlishaw; Smethurst; Alsibrook

Offline asgaard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 04 September 08 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A Buffaloe's medal has been turned up in a relatives house and we think we know whose it is..

It was given to Frederick Hogton KOM, co founder of Royal Lodge 3347 in 1922.

Any idea where we can find out more?

Thank you

Offline Commonwealth

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 02 October 08 05:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am trying to find more information on "Bro J DAVIDSON".

I have his Attendance Jewel dated July 1 1903.  Birmingham Lodge XI.

The Jewel came with medals to "John Davidson" from the Boer War, where he served with New Zealand Troops and from WW I when he served with South African Troops. This John Davidson was born in New Zealand.

I suspect that the Jewel was John Davison's father's - John Davidson (NZ) would not have been in Birmingham long enough (if ever) to warrant the award of the jewel. What length of time was required to win the award ?

Is there any way of contacting the Lodge XI, if indeed it still exists? And, of course, any possible info for the Birmingham J. Davidson.

Any assistance or pointers greatly appreciated.
Regards
Graeme McLeod
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline singinhinny

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 18 October 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
Any information on Alexander Wilson Nesbitt (b. Armagh 1870, d. Greenock 1940) would be welcome. Relations in Greenock, where he died, say that he was a Buffalo member and that there was a lodge named after him in Newcastle on Tyne/Northumberland, where he used to live. Could you find out if that is so?  He was apparently made a Knight of the order as well, which might help to trace him.
names: Buckley, Healey, Meneely, Nesbitt, Stowell
places: Armagh, Cork, Newcastle on Tyne, Greenock

Offline adge654

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 12 December 08 20:06 GMT (UK) »
could you tell me anything about my grandfather, I have a picture of him on
'men in aprons' however as a novice on the computer I cannot seem to get the picture to come up again.
the details are as follows:- Henry James Green
                                           ABERY LODGE
                                           No. 8240
                                           K.O.M.
I know nothing about the society, just hope you can help,
   adge

Moderator Comment: For information, adge654 is referring to this topic 'men in aprons'

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,346735.0.html

Dawn
ingram/hulbert/hawkin (wiltshire, gloucestershire,  surrey),
Delicate/craymer/green (wiltshire & london)

Offline Sandie_L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 05 March 09 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find info on my paternal side of the family particularly about my grandfather, bro George Laybourn R.O.H. I was told he was a Grand Primo, but I haven't been able to find anything on any websites. Sorry I don't have much details with regards date of birth etc all I know is he died in 1958 the and lived in Sunderland which was then County Durham. I also have a watch fob chain with a medalion ROH & Latin motto on the front. Engraved on the back is BRO G. Laybourn R.O.H. 16th Dec 1951. Any information would be great or even a pointer as to where I could find anything about him.

Offline BarryW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 08 March 09 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandie

Certainly if your ancestor was Grand Primo he should be fairly easy to track down.

Can I suggest that you contact the Buffs museum (Stan Stirman) which is housed in Harrogate. Stan is also from the NE.

Try:
Museum.Curator (at) raobgle.org.uk

Replace (at) with @

PLease let me know how you get on.

Regards

Barry

Moderator Comment: email address edited in accordance with Rootschat policy to prevent spam.
Friendly and fraternal societies, Staffordshire history. Wilkes, Sneyd.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 09 March 09 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi...Can anyone tell me anything about the regalia worn here.....what order/degree.......not sure of the date of the photo but it is my Grandfather who was born in 1875 St. John's Newfoundland...I emailed this to the grand Lodge of Newfoundland & Labrador but didn't didn't get a reply :-\
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks ~ Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU