Author Topic: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon  (Read 36737 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 February 13 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Madden has shown up as witnesses to marriages and baptisms in this branch as well so could well be connected
I will probably leave this line for a while, had hoped it may lead to more of, Anne McDERMOTT, my great grand aunt's siblings and relatives to find more there!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline gathering

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 April 13 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Colette,

There were certainly a number of Madden families on the Lisacul side of the fence.

Not wishing to be too specific a Madden family post 1911 have a place in Curraghsallagh  and two brothers from this family have interests in Ballaghadereen one in construction and and the other was  (is) a bank manager in town. A Madden was also on the commt for the School reunion.

Hi.  New to this site and alerted by the mention of Madden in Currasallagh.  May be able to offer information here

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 April 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
My Madden connection is distant as:

Eleanor MADDEN (parents unknown) married Cormack CAFFERKEY on Feb 10 1865 in Loughglynn
She was the mother-in-law of my Great-grandmother's sister Ann McDERMOTT-CAFFERKEY

I have no other information on Eleanor
I located and kept this information while trying to expand my Grandfather's family
I was told many stories of his family but on researching cannot confirm them
Also located many family members that then disappeared again

I need time to get to the Archives and NLI of sort some of it out I think
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Cafferkeys_G_son

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 July 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Cafferkey and everyone else on this thread. I was researching my family and I found your  forum here luckily!   I want you to know that I am John, the Grandson of Anthony Cafferkey (1905-1991). He was the brother of John Cafferkey from Ballaghdereen Ireland. I am now in my mid 50s but when I was 16 Years old my cousin Daniel Cafferty and myself spent 6 months at the homestead of the Cafferkey's in Ballaghadereen. We worked in the hay fields and  cut the turf in the bogs helping our Grandfather throughout the summer and autumn months that year. I haven't returned 'home' since that year although I remember it as if it were yesterday! Anthony Cafferkey came to the US at the age of 15 via Ellis Island. His older brother John did as well, but I believe it was several years later. Anthony was actually one of the very 1st founders of 'The Boston Meat Market' which still thrives today. He made his living teaching people how to cure pork correctly. Before that time many here in the US were dying from trichinosis  because of poorly cured pork. He was on of 11 siblings (I believe) and he  also returned home to Ballaghdereen every single year of his life to  keep up his family home and farm until the year he died. The story goes, when he arrived in the US, Customs made the Cafferkeys change their name to Cafferty, hence the name change. I absolutely LOVE Ballaghdereen and I will definitely be making it back to my heritage homeland hopefully sooner rather than later. I remember there was a young family with several children who lived across the street from their 2 room home in Ballaghdereen. I believe their Sur name was Cunningham and one of their sons ( Michael)  was the age of Daniel and myself. There was a single phone booth and a pub up the street.  Such wonderful memories and when I read your posts I had to register and share this info. * Blessings to you all~!
ps: Anthony Cafferkey married Ellen Coleman from Cork. They met on the ship coming over to Ellis Island  :)

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 July 13 18:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome Cafferkeys_G_son,

I take it your people were from Lissydaley, Lisacul. Cunninghams had until recently the post office and general store , where the phone box was once located. The Pub which I still remember from the late 60's as poorly lit, a dark brown interior with impenetrable mirrors on the wall, or it could all be due to the decades of tobacco consumption. Creatons who had the place did a couple of refurbs and is now passable.

You should, if you haven't already done so, visit google maps for the area as it is now on street view. You still have the 40 shades of green though many of the houses you will be familiar with have gone.

Padraig.

Offline Cafferkeys_G_son

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 July 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Padraig,
 I want to thank you very much for this information! I knew the area but after 38 years I couldn't remember the exact location where the Cunningham General Store was located. My family sold the Cafferkey property to the Cunningham's back in 1993.  I traveled  through the area on Google Maps and found the Cunningham homestead/General store. And yes, the old phone box is now gone, but the older telephone pole still stands where the box was located!  I remember their home extremely well and it looks like they may have re-sold the Cafferkey property across the street because now there is a much larger home. Either that or maybe they built the home themselves. You wouldn't happen to know if the Cunninghams are still in that area, would you?   My Cousin Daniel will be ecstatic to see the photos I Prnt/Screened from Google Maps.
ps: as far as the pub goes, our Grandfather didn't want  my cousin and myself to go in there. I'm guessing he didn't want Daniel and I having a few pints and leaving a lasting impression on the area LOL But we did get to tour the Homeland for the next 6 months on our own without Grandfather and as you can imagine, there were many a pub we visited. I just loved the old laid back lifestyle and looking at the Google images, it still looks very rural and  yes the 40+ shades of Green are simply breath-taking!
*  Again, I Thank you VERY kindly my friend!,
John

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 July 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I am pretty sure the PO/Store was still on the market earlier this year and it is likely the land was sold off 4/5 years ago when land prices were at their peak. My feelings are the Cunninghams may have left when the land was sold. You may wish to establish contact with the priest at Christ The King Catholic Church in Lisacul, Co. Roscommon who no doubt could throw more light on the matter.

There is also a Facebook page - Lisacul Gathering Roscommon 26th - 28th July - which you may also find of some use.

PM

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 July 13 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Just checked planning application info for Cunningham/Lissydaly - application for a rebuild of what may be your families old place made January 2004, which slightly changes the timeline.

The Post Office/Store has not been sold but taken off the market and let out, so possibly tenants/estate agents for the property would be another avenue to look at.

Offline John Martin Burke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 September 13 17:10 BST (UK) »
My mother Elizabeth Agnes O'Connor Burke was one of nine children born to John O'Connor (1872-1952) and Catherine Cafferkey (1885=1975) in Lisacul.  All nine are now deceased, the last, Rita Dolan of Lisacul passing in 2011.  (Rita still has family living in Lisacul.)
From a family tree provided by my late mother, I know the following:
Catherine Cafferkey was one of five children of John Cafferkey (1834-?) and Mary McGreal (1835-?).  The five were Michael, John (killed in WWI), Martin, Mary Ann and Catherine (my grandmother).
Michael married Mary Brennan and they had John and James.
Martin married Kate Moran and they had ***

I am pleased to know that the Cafferkey line is still strong.

John

Moderator Comment: Detials of possibly living people removed to protect privacy, please use the PM system to exchange such details.