Author Topic: LOCKHART at DUMBARTON  (Read 10021 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: LOCKHART at DUMBARTON
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 August 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
There is an 1840 marriage of Helen Lockhart to William Kirkpatrick in Dumbarton.

Which is precisely why you ruled her out in your thread in the Canada forum when I first listed the available/known candidates and suggested trying to track them down in order to rule each one out if possible:

1. b 1815, Dumbarton, parents John Lockhart, Janet McFarlane
2. b. 1813, Dundonald, parents John Lockhart, Janet Walker
3. Helen Sibbald Lockhart, b. 1812, Haddington, parents John Lockhart, Isabella McWilliam
4. b. 1812, Kettle, parents John Lockhart, Margaret Rollo

-- you had rapidly settled on her, and then came back (reply 25, which I specifically linked to in my post above) and said:

I come crawling back, my tail between my legs!  I was wrong.  Helen Lockhart from Dumbarton stayed in Scotland, married William Kirkpatrick in 184O.

edit - in 1851, Helen Kirkpatrick, born c1820, is living with her mother Janet Lockhard, son William Kirkpatrick, and brothers Charles and Duncan Lockland (all names as transcribed by Ancestry) in Cardross, Dumbartonshire.

FS shows Charles McGlashan Lockhart baptised 1816 and Duncan Lockhart baptised 1818 with the same parents as Helen 1815.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 August 12 21:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm aware of this, have seen that marriage record.  But still questioning the identification, due to the strong resemblance between Helen b. 1815 and Ellen b. about 1816.  Are they one person, or two?

Just discovered a passenger list, the steamer "Canada", 26 July 1834, showed "Lockhart & 1 person above 12 years", travelling from Quebec to Montreal.  Ellen Lockhart was 18, fits the description.  And coincidentally, the Clezie family were in Montreal at that very moment.  Opportunity... but not certainty.  Is there any record of emigrants who left Dunbartonshire around 1834?  Probably not.

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 August 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
Did you miss my edit showing the 1851 census in Scotland for that Helen Lockhart?  ???
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 December 12 02:02 GMT (UK) »
We are still at a loss to find the origin of Ellen Lockhart, born about 1816 somewhere in Scotland, according to census records.

A "possible" identification: Helen Lockhart, born 15 Aug 1815, baptized 20 Aug 1815 at  Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire.  They are very close in age, simiar names.  Maybe Helen from Dumbarton = Ellen from Troy?  If not, we are utterly lost again.

Ellen had two daughters named Eleanor, the first born at Toronto, Canada, 1849, the second at Cleveand, Ohio, 1856.  Maybe Ellen was a short version of Eleanor? 

Is there some Eleanor / Ellen / Helen, born about 1816, who went to the New World around 1840 and then disappeared?

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 December 12 03:03 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1840 marriage of Helen Lockhart to William Kirkpatrick in Dumbarton.

Which is precisely why you ruled her out in your thread in the Canada forum when I first listed the available/known candidates and suggested trying to track them down in order to rule each one out if possible:

1. b 1815, Dumbarton, parents John Lockhart, Janet McFarlane
2. b. 1813, Dundonald, parents John Lockhart, Janet Walker
3. Helen Sibbald Lockhart, b. 1812, Haddington, parents John Lockhart, Isabella McWilliam
4. b. 1812, Kettle, parents John Lockhart, Margaret Rollo

-- you had rapidly settled on her, and then came back (reply 25, which I specifically linked to in my post above) and said:

I come crawling back, my tail between my legs!  I was wrong.  Helen Lockhart from Dumbarton stayed in Scotland, married William Kirkpatrick in 184O.

(edit) in 1851, Helen Kirkpatrick, born c1820, is living with her mother Janet Lockhard, son William Kirkpatrick, and brothers Charles and Duncan Lockland (all names as transcribed by Ancestry) in Cardross, Dumbartonshire.

And I'll add now: in 1841 Helen Kirkpatrick is living with Janet Lockhart and Charles, Duncan and John, and 11-mo-old William Kirkpatrick who would be her son, in Cardross. An Ancestry user corrected her surname in 2011, from "Kerkputrick" to Kerkpatrick.

>>>> It might be wise to contact that person.

- edit - i.e. to get some of this "proof" you want someone else to provide -- in this case, proof that the Helen Lockhart born in 1815 in Dumbarton to John and Janet is NOT your Ellen, as is perfectly obvious.

FS shows Charles McGlashan Lockhart baptised 1816 and Duncan Lockhart baptised 1818 with the same parents as Helen 1815.

???

I wouldn't want anyone else to spend time on that one again.

The likelihood that Ellen was not closely related to the other Scottish-born Lockharts who were living in the same county in NY state at the same time and getting hatched and matched at the same church remains slim ...

For a summary of that family (the thread contains enormous detail and suggestions for further investigation):

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,601912.msg4590678.html#msg4590678

and in more detail:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,601912.msg4593852.html#msg4593852

And re Elexis Lockhart (below in this thread), who has been absolutely and completely 100% ruled out:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,601912.msg4582486.html#msg4582486 et seq.
(and all the investigation by me that preceded that ruling out by heiserca)

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 December 12 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Too many words, not enough proof.  You can't simply browbeat people by shrieking ever more loudly.  Maybe someday actual evidence will link Ellen with the Lockharts of Upstate New York.  That's a possibility.  Without proof, the theory isn't convincing.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 December 12 21:51 GMT (UK) »
The point, my dear, is that you cannot expect people to keep doing over what has been done. My post was intended to alert anyone newly viewing this thread to the lengthy efforts devoted to your quest already, and in particular to the fact that you yourself had discounted the Dumbarton Helen Lockhart about whom you have again requested information now. People who volunteer their time and effort to help others here deserve not to have that time wasted, and deserve to be treated with more respect generally than you have decided to show. You grow increasingly offensive, and rather blatantly misogynistic.

If you want proof of something, it has been respectfully suggested that you look for it. No one has pretended that any has been offered.

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Time to put this one out of its misery.  Ellen Lockhart has been found: not from Dumbarton, and not from Lansingburgh, New York either. 

She was born 30 Oct 1816 at Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, parents John Lockhart & Jean McMillan; christened "Elexis Lockhart" but always called Ellen.  The family emigrated to Canada, summer 1821 on the ship "Earl of Buckinghamshire", settled at Ramsay Township, SW of Ottawa.  John Lockhart died 1871, buried at Almonte, Ontario.  Ellen married James Clezie in 1840, they moved to Cleveland, Ohio, she died 1899.  The end.

Thanks to all for your help.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 September 14 18:00 BST (UK) »
for info, now updated here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=595931

wherein heiserca entirely adopts my Lockhart-Cloyde hypothesis (in the threads I linked to in my post above) and the suggestion that Ellen was the daughter of William Lockhart and Margaret Henderson (later Margaret Cloyde) of Paisley.  :)