Author Topic: Help from lodwick / lott family members  (Read 2076 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help from lodwick / lott family members
« on: Tuesday 15 July 14 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am hoping you may be able to provide some insight into a conundrum.  I have a family member from the 1800s in Carmarthenshire who was baptised with surname Lodwick but appears on the birth certificates of her children as surname Lott. There is also a possible sibling of hers who was baptised with surname Lodwick who possibly appears in censuses with the surname Lott. I have also seen at least one instance for a census entry on ancestry where someone has corrected a surname from Lott to Lodwick. Therefore I was wondering if forum members with the surname Lodwick or Lott had seen examples of these surnames being swapped in the census or other family history records and also whether they had any explanation for this?

Regards

Regards

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help from lodwick / lott family members
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 09:21 BST (UK) »
Have you looked into the possibility that they may have taken the name of a stepfather at some stage while growing up?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help from lodwick / lott family members
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

thanks for this good suggestion,  however there is no evidence of their mother remarrying and her surname was still Lodwick in the period that her children had made the name change

regards