Author Topic: 1871 Census look up for Uriah Cousins 1845/6 born Northamptonshire  (Read 4376 times)

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census look up for Uriah Cousins 1845/6 born Northamptonshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Uriah's daugther (from his first marriage) Ann Cousins visible in the 1881 census age 9 was born in Ireland so perhaps they were in Ireland and did not make it back to english soil.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline sior

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 February 09 20:08 GMT (UK) »
 I noticed that someone had been looking up Henrietta in wales and failed to find her .This is possibly because the name given on copies of her marrige cert. is given as Roper, but this is probably a miss-reading of the name Rosser.Exactly the same thing happened on a copy of my grandmother's birth certificate when her mother's name was given as Roper when in fact it was Rosser. Old fashioned registrars still used the long and short s and this has made written  double s to look like p .There is a Henrietta Rosser of the correct age and place on the censuses.
I have a photo of Hannah Cousins but haven't a clue yet of how to insert it for you.I also have a photo of Uriahs second wife and some of her children taken about 1916,and of Green Court Farm ,Uriah's farm which is still standing and much as it always was.
Some of his older sons continued in farming, and there families continue to do so today. Most of the farms in this area are not more than 60 acres and mostly ,sheep and cattle.His sons by his second marriage all went underground or into the iron and steel works.
Henllys was agricultural[and still largely is] with a lot of heavy industry in the neighbouring parish of Llantarnam and collieries in both.Today they are both part of Cwmbran
    Will let you have the pictures when I can.
                      Sior

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 February 09 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Winston and Sior for the extra information!

I would be very interested in seeing pictures of the Cousins family as we actually don't have any photographs of any family apart from one of Annie Hilda Cousins. later in her life.

It would be interesting to see if they share some features.  Sior if you're having trouble inserting the pictures I can always PM you my e-mail address if that would be easier.
Hannah - Isle of Man, Kensington.  Cousins - Northamptonshire, Kensington.  Poulsum - Monmouthshire.  Carpenter - Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire.  Turner - Berkshire.  Vincent - Wiltshire.  Beachus - Wales

Offline sior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 February 09 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes that wold probably be the easiest thing.You might also be interested in some of the photos of Uriahs children that I might be able to gather from various Cousins cousins. Just to give you a background to his life. Anyway it has been nice meeting you across the ether.
               regards
               Sior

Offline LornaR

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 December 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this information about Annie Cousins and her father.  I am Annie Cousins' gt gt grandaughter - she married a James Arthur Richardson from Surrey, who ended up working in the coal industry in Cwmbran.  I have one photo of Annie in what I guess to be middle age.  If you have any further information about the family, I would be grateful to hear from you!

Offline GAF55

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 April 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
I have just joined Roots Chat and found all your information on the Cousins family very helpful as I too have had lots of questions as I research further. I am doing research for my mother-in -law whose grandfather was Uriah Cousins. I note that most of your conversations took place some while ago but I am hoping some of you are still members. I am particularly interested in the photo mentioned by Sior of the family in 1916 at Green Court Farm as my mother in law does not seem to have any photos of her grandmother (Florence nee Kingston) and also her mother may be in the picture too. I am sure she would be absolutely thrilled to see a copy.  I am not sure at this moment whether I have got anything I can offer any of you in return but I have found some references to the family in newspaper articles which may be of use.
I would be very grateful of any photos   :) Gill