Author Topic: Where's Fred WHITE in 1911?  (Read 8627 times)

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where's Fred WHITE in 1911?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 April 14 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi All - As you have suggested 'Fred WHITE' was indeed Frederick William John WHITE who in 1911 was boy artificer engineer in the Royal Navy at Devonport.  He was killed in action at the Battle of Jutland in 1916 when the Indefatigable exploded with the loss of 1017 lives (2 survivors).

Why did I need so much help to reach this conclusion? 

1. The birth reg'n of FWJ WHITE does not appear under searches on Ancestry.co.uk. - reason unknown.
2. His death notification was sent to his mother Elizabeth WHITE whereas I knew his mother to have been baptised Lizzie.  Possibly some clerk in RN recruitment decided that all Lizzies were really called Elizabeth.
3. In 1916 his mother 'Elizabeth' was living in Willesden which did not fit with the fact that she had lived all her life in Windsor.  In fact the 1911 census shows that Lizzie's married brother (Spencer) and unmarried sister (Edith) were living together in Cricklewood (near to Williesden) and it is possible that after Lizzie's husband's death in 1913 she moved to Willesden to live near them.  Possibly she set up home with her unmarried sister Edith.

Just remains for me to thank you for your help.  Unfortunately the 'WHITE' wall remains intact but via this post I have eliminated another line of enquiry.  Cheers Carl

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
Re: Where's Fred WHITE in 1911?
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 April 14 12:21 BST (UK) »
Glad you got Fred sorted out!
 :)
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett