Author Topic: Anderson, William Maxwell: looking for his parents and siblings  (Read 4827 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson, William Maxwell: looking for his parents and siblings
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 March 13 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi helenjean

To help you with your 'shires and parishes....

A map of counties in Scotland www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/ Huge amount of info within Genuki by by County, just click on links.

Maps of parishes within Counties, a useful link here, just click on the relevant county www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-maps.htm

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 June 13 06:46 BST (UK) »
Need help please, >:( in deciphering the names of Christina Milloy's parents on her ScotlandsPeople death record (2 Jun 1867, Greenock, age 67):  it looks to me like:  father: Parlan ( ???) McFarlane occupation  ??? Tailor and mother, Mary with Maiden Surname either McNeil or could it possibly be Maxwell? (Maxwell was the second given name of her grandchildren Mary Maxwell Anderson and my great grandfather, William Maxwell Anderson, so that would make sense).  :-\

Also looking for the death of her husband, Duncan Milloy, Seaman in the Merchant Service:  he wasn't in her household as at census night 1861 and is shown as deceased on Christina's death record; I can't find any mention of him in Intimations. Milloy has also been shown as Malloy and Molloy on daughter Elizabeth's records.

I've tracked down several of William's siblings, but am still looking for John, his eldest brother and eldest sisters, Jane and Christina, apparently twins, shown as aged 9 years on the 1861 census, but they don't appear in the household in 1871.

Thanks in advance  :)
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 July 14 07:25 BST (UK) »
Update to previous:  :o I have tracked down the twins Jane and Christina and their marriages and children, but am still stumped as to John, the eldest brother b. 22 Apr 1846 ???. Why would his father (also named John) have gone to the trouble of registering John Jnr's birth by Sheriff's warrant in 1866, some 20 years after the event? Their father (my gt gt grandfather) was a Deep Sea Pilot in the Merchant Service, so I wonder if it was in connection with his eldest son's future career? Any ideas? The name John Anderson is, of course, very common and all my (many) searches have so far come up with nothing, apart from his appearance in the 1851 census aged 4. Hope someone can help (and thanks in advance)  :)
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)