Author Topic: Old pub in Childrey  (Read 11033 times)

Offline wend66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old pub in Childrey
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 September 07 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have had a look through and found a little bit about Sundays and how Farmer Froud made sure his farm labourers attended church.
My brother has some other notes of Dad's and I will ask him to look through.

Dad was born in 1913 and his Dad was a lay preacher at the Chapel and Dad had to pump the organ for Miss Burson to play.

We always go in the Hatchet for some of their lovely food if we have a day out to Childrey !!   ;)

Trees
If you PM me with your email I will scan the little bit that I have if you want it also I have a modern photo of The Hatchet and loads of others of Childrey if you would like any.

Wendy

Offline Anmarie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there - I'm new to this site and spotted a rather old message from you looking for a book about Childrey by Jeanne Gibbs.  Did you manage to get a copy?  The reason I ask is that Jeanne was my mother (sadly she passed away last year) and I may be able to locate a copy if you dont have one yet.

We did give a box of the books to the small shop in childrey, by the way - for anyone else who may pick up this message and be interested in buying one. Proceeds going to the Childrey church.

Thank you

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Annmarie I hope you will find it as helpful as I have. My condolences on you mother's passing but you know she will be well remembered by all who have that lovely book on their bookshelves.Local studies provide such a good insight to the way the ancestors lived they are worth their weight in gold to folk like me who will probably never have the opportunity to visit the many villages where our roots were first planted
trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline patsy hellemans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 September 13 18:12 BST (UK) »
That is a very kind offer send me your address through a pm and I'll send you the payment etc. I have found the original notes (dated 1990!)and can see it was a son of John who married the land LADY nothing to do with Belinda So I've followed this up this afternoon and have found that Arthur Basil FROUD brother of Belinda married Nellie POINTER in 1911 she is the wife of Ebenezer POINTER on the 1901 census at the Hatchett and Landlord Ebenezer died in 1906 and it looks like Nellie took over the license.
Phew so it would appear that Arthur B FROUD must have been Landlord from 1911-?
Perhaps you can verify all this with your local history soc. friend please.
The notes also link another  FROUD to The Leather Bottle in Challow just as I thought I was ready to go "live" with my publicans I'm up to three pages already ;D
Trees

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 September 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome Patsy are you particularly researching Frouds. If so you will get a great deal of useful   help here  :)
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline patsy hellemans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 September 13 15:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome Patsy are you particularly researching Frouds. If so you will get a great deal of useful   help here  :)
Trees
Hello, I'm not particularly interested in the Frouds but I am interested in the Pointers. My great grandmother was Nellie Pointer,Froud. When I knew her she was landlady of the Hatchet and a widow.
Nanny Froud reputedly ran the pub with a very firm hand. We, as children , had to stay outside in the carpark until after closing time.
My grandfather was her son ,William Pointer.
I'd really like to know more about my great grandfather Ebeneza Pointer. Can anybody help?

Offline patsy hellemans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 September 13 15:20 BST (UK) »
By the way, as Mrs Froud she had a son, Kenneth, who emigrated to Canada.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 September 13 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Patsy,
Lets make a start what I know so far of Ebenezer Pointer
In 1901 he was the Inn keeper age 28 from Marcham he was married to Nellie J and they had a daughter 3 year old  Lilian C and 6 month old William C Just 2 schedules from the pub was the home of Leonard Froud and his wife.
Ebenezer was born Sept. qtr 1872   Ebenezer    Abingdon    2c    290 he narried Nellie Jane  Grey in 1896
His parents were George and Hannah and he has  brothers Henry (1871) Alf (1869)  Horace (1878) and Eli (1881)
George was a labourer born in 1838 Hannah was born 1842 in Abingdon
Ebenezer was working as a labourer in 1891
Is this any help?
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 September 13 17:15 BST (UK) »
Now looking at George
He was the son of John and Elizabeth who had:
Mary Ann born 22 Feb 1820 baptised 27 Feb 1820  ,William 1822,Henry 1823, Jane 1825, John 1827, James 1829, Alfred 1831,Samuel 1833, George 1835 and Eliza 1838
John was an Agricultural labourer born about 1793 Elizabeth 1795. William had served in the Army.
John was baptised in Marcham 7th June the son of an unmarried mum Elizabeth. His second name was Franklin so his father may have had that surname.
The children of John and Elizabeth can be found on Family Search batch C01987-2 use POYNTER
Hope this gives you a start I will be going back to Reading in about a fortnight so let me know if you want anything looked up and i'll see what I can fir in for you
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk