Author Topic: Stewart family  (Read 19749 times)

Offline tommytoronto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 22:56 BST (UK) »
wow - I didn;t have all those children of William.  The fact that James was named after his father's uncle helps a HUGE amount - as it helps me prove that William's mother was Elizabeth Horne - and had a brother James.  Now to hunt that out - and see what I can find.....

I look forward to seeing what you have on William's siblings and parents - and can give you what I have on them as well........

Tom
census information is crown copyright
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

cumberland - ivison
derby - fearn
durham - moon, bowman, waters
kent - millgate, hatcher, cox, alaby, gibbs, goodbourne, hollams
lancashire - dears, bradborn, matthews, burke
london - mears
northumberland - curry, grey
yorkshire - bergan, ackney, irwin, sclaes, metcalf, crosby
caithness - stewart, waters, gunn, cormack, horne
refrewshire - houston, dow
hamburg germany - dears ( deircs)

Offline jrhay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 06 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Alexander Stewart and Christina McLean from Kilmartin.  If memory serves Kilmartin is the parish just to the north of Lochgilphead and Glassary parishes in Argyll.  There were quite a number of Stewarts in the Glassary area and I have a privately published history of them which was published about 1998.  IF you know Alexander's parents I could see if that might mate up with any of the information which I have.

Offline GordonNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
Here is a bit of info about William, I will have to dig through some papers for his parents and siblings and will get back to you.
Cheers Pongo

Hi Pongo
I've just found this site and having read the background information that you and the others have posted I am very pleased I have.
I have been researching my family history to find a link between Major General William Stewart and my great grandmother.
Her married name was Elizabeth Stewart Fraser and her maiden name was Mackay. She came from Melvich in the North of Scotland.
There has never been any doubt from my Grandmother before she died and all the other family members  that my great grandmother was a descendant of William Stewart and the family photo albums have photos of Abercrombie House in them.
Up until now I imagined that My Great grandmother's mother must have been one of William's  daughters but having read your list of William's children I can't see where she fits in.
I can't imagine she was one of James' daughters who would all have been Australians
as my mother knew her and she was very Scotish.
Any help in this direction would be gratefully received.   
Great to touch base with you and all the others

Gordon

The first member of the family to set foot in Australia was:

William Stewart (1769-1854)

Born at Dounreay, in Caithness, Scotland, William joined the army in 1796 and became Colonel of the Third Regiment of Foot. From 1825 to 1827, he served as Lieutenant-Governor of New South Wales. In 1827, he was given a grant of land at Mount Pleasant, near Bathurst. The same year he went to India with his regiment and was appointed Major-General. He returned to Mount Pleasant in 1832 where he remained until his death in 1854.

While in Canada in 1814 he married Ann Sylvia Wolfe by whom he had the following children:

Caroline Madelaine - Born Montreal, Canada, in 1815. She married, firstly, Captain Donald Stewart, a cousin, and after he was killed in action in 1844, she came back to Mount Pleasant and married Charles Henry Green, at one time Commissioner for the Western Gold Fields. In 1855, she and her husband went to Queensland where they settled on the Darling Downs. She had no children and the date of her death is not known.

Elizabeth - Born in Saint Pol, France, in 1817 where her father was stationed after Waterloo as part of the Allied Army of Occupation. She married the Reverend Mr K.D. Smythe, Presbyterian minister at Bathurst. She and her husband went to Scotland in 1863 where she died in 1908.

Ann - a twin of Elizabeth who died at the age of 18 months.

Letitia - Born in Edinburgh in 1820. She married a Mr David Kennedy, manager of a bank at Bathurst. They had three sons and Letitia died in 1894.

William - Born in 1822, he died at Strath of Bylster, near Wick, Caithness, in 1829.

James Horne - Born in Edinburgh in 1825. He was named after his father's uncle, James Horne of Stirkoke, Caithness. He came to Australia in 1834 with his mother and the other children when they rejoined William at Mount Pleasant. James was educated at the Australian College in Sydney and in 1855 married Harriet Eliza Boyce (1839-1923), the daughter of the Reverend Mr William Boyce of Sydney. Harriet and James had five children.

Offline GordonNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All
My Great Grandmother came from Melvick in Northern Scotland to New Zealand to marry her Scottish fiance in 1870s and was a  descendant of Major General William Stewart. I thought she was a direct descendant but can't quite figure where she fits now after seeing Pongo's list of William's children.
Her Maiden Name was Elizabeth Stewart Mackay who married John Cameron Fraser, also from Melvick.
Does anyone have a family tree that would show where she fits in the picture. There is no doubt that she is a descendant of William as my Mother who is still alive knew her heard all her stories and the family albums have photos of Abercrombie House etc.
If anyone can fill me in on this i would be very grateful.
Kindest

Gordon

Offline katjean7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 June 13 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Not sure if this thread is still being used. I've recently discovered that my family is related to James Horne Stewart and I'm trying to do a bit more research to see where we fit in. Do you know the names of James' children?

Offline camsmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 January 15 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

I have done a bit of research on the Stewart Family of Caithness .  maybe you could give me a call as i am in Auckland and may be able to help. (*)
Campbell
(*) Moderator Comment: phone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy ,
to avoid abuse.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php