Author Topic: Where was our Richard born ?  (Read 3810 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where was our Richard born ?
« on: Saturday 03 May 14 18:07 BST (UK) »
Good Saturday

I have a Richard Tillman, who lived in St Pauls Warden, was a Miller, and married Ann Godfrey at Kimpton Hertford on the 21st April 1794. Assume BORN  abt  1770.

Forward from there, I know they had children, moved to London and then Sunderland, and that he went bankrupt.

Can find no other Tillmans around the Hitchin area, as a Miller, I suppose he could have come from anywhere.

Anyone with large hammer to break down brick wall please.

Best

John 1935
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where was our Richard born ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 May 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
IGS has a Richard Tillman marrying Ruth Barber at Ippollitts in 1783. Could he be a lead? Only a couple of miles from Hitchin.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 May 14 09:38 BST (UK) »

HALS has :-

Tillman Smart / Martha Field - St Albans St Peters - 29 Sep 1832
[ Tilman Smart / Mary Ann Meals - Great Gaddesden - 21 Oct 1821 ]

Robert Stillman / Elizabeth Saunders - St Albans Abbey - 25 Nov 1588

Richard Tillman of St Pauls Walden / Ann Godfrey - Kimpton - 21 Apr 1794

Personal and miscellaneous (78292)
1890 Weston = copy letter from Marlborugh Pryor to Rev. W. Beaufey Stillman setting out conditions for Weston living - rights of shooting over glebe land etc.

Personal and miscellaneous (78293)
1890 Weston = letter of reply, from Rev. Stillman to Marlborough Pryor.

Deaths = 20 February 1886 Death notice of John Thomas Stillman. Died 16th February aged 68
Hertford Record page 7

I have mentioned "Stillman" in case it is "S Tillman" mistranscribed.

Richard Tillmon / Ruth Barber = Ippollitts 13 Dec 1783 (as per Gardener's IGS find)

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 May 14 10:09 BST (UK) »

Marriage 02 Oct 1766 Walkern, Hertfordshire = Sarah Tillman / William Chapman   

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 May 14 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you Gardner and Ray

Having to use iPad as my old steam computer with Microsoft XP suddenly won't pick up on this site !!
Your info is very encouraging, as seems there were other Tillmans in the area. Is there a chance of finding if Ruth died, before he married Ann ? More when I have had a chance to digest all you have given ( and can repair the boiler on my !!!!!!!!!! Computer .

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 May 14 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you Gardner and Ray

Having to use iPad as my old steam computer with Microsoft XP suddenly won't pick up on this site !!
Your info is very encouraging, as seems there were other Tillmans in the area. Is there a chance of finding if Ruth died, before he married Ann ? More when I have had a chance to digest all you have given ( and can repair the boiler on my !!!!!!!!!! Computer .

Best

John

Findmypast seems to have a death/burial for Ruth in 1793 at Ippollitts. I don't have  a subscription though.
Do you know when he died? He had kids baptised at Bromley did he? When did he go north?
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 May 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks again
Have not all details to hand, as am working on this with a distant cousin across the pond, which is where they all went ( his sons, that is, ) after Sunderland.

This is where life really gets complicated, as going back to Sunderland, in the mid to late 1800's there were two Tillman families there, one in Monkwearmouth, and what might be part of my lot in Bishopwearmouth , cousin has got back as far as Richard, and my male side go back to the 1700's from Lympstone in Devon, how ever, when Peter Tillman died young in 1816, and leaving a widow Tammy with ( for certain a daughter Thomasin, and son George ) both Tammy & Thomasin married seamen and went north.

Sorry, but did say it was complicated !!!

As soon as I get the info back will put it on - but they have different sleeping times.

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 May 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Gardener & Ray & All

Answers are -

1. He never got North, as he is down on the workhouse records as  paupers death( profession Miller)
10th June 1838, age 76 years in Bromley St Leonards ( London Borough ) workhouse - so if all is correct - born 1762 - but where ?

2.  Two of his Children born in Hertfordshire, another as above. Samuel shows up a year after his father's death as being in Sunderland and marrying Margary Potts

Best

John

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 May 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
Just in case any of it is new:

Birth registrations from Dr William's Library (Protestant non-conformist birth register)

Parents Richard Tillman and Ann, daughter of Thos. and Elizth. Godfrey

Ann Tillman Par. Bromley County of Middlesex, Regd Jany 4th 1811 Thos. Morgan. Witnesses: M Ricardo, Susannah (her x mark) Gardner. Witnesses to the mark J Nunn, E Gardner. Born 1st April 1803

Mary Tillman Par. Bromley County of Middlesex Regd, Jany 4th 1811 Thos. Morgan. Witnesses: Margaret Purdy, Susannah (her x mark) Gardner. Witnesses to the Marks: J Nunn, E Gardner. Born 2nd Dec 1805.

Samuel Tillman Par. St Leonard, Bromley County of Middlesex Regd April 7th 1813, Thos Morgan. Sarah (her x mark) Parker Witness to the mark Rachel Marten, Henry Tippen. Midwife: Sarah Littlefield. Born 28th Octr 1811.

and this at Ratcliffe (Rose Lane/ Queen St Chapel): I think it is a burial but I'm not sure

May 10th 1801 Richard Tillman Child Bromley