Author Topic: Orders of Removal 1849  (Read 867 times)

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Orders of Removal 1849
« on: Monday 14 April 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've come across a newspaper article on FindMyPast from 1849 regarding a George Clipsham (my 4th Great Grandfather - if its the same George Clipsham). The article says "Before the Mayor of Lincoln an order of removal was made re George Clipsham from St Michaels to Nettleham"   
On the 1841 census my 4th G Grandfather Age 61yrs was living alone in St Martins Parish. On the 1851 census he was living with his daughter and her family in St Michaels parish. Am I right in thinking that a removal order is made when someone who was born outside the parish they're living in and they can't support themselves then they are sent back to their "home" parish?
My George was born in Nettleham.  As he was "removed" in 1849 but back again in Lincoln on the 1851 census is it right to think that as he was living with his daughter and her family they would be responsible for his support and so he was allowed to return to Lincoln?
Thanks

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Orders of Removal 1849
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 April 14 23:44 BST (UK) »
I'm no expert on the subject but the following link may help.  Interesting that the removal order was after the introduction of the new poor laws though.

http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/settlement-certificatesexaminations-and-removal-orders-parish-amp-poor-law/173/

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 09:32 BST (UK) »
thanks Julie

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 09:45 BST (UK) »
On the 1841 census my 4th G Grandfather Age 61yrs was living alone in St Martins Parish.

I don't think so.  :-\

He appears to be the first of three lodgers(?) in the house of Ann CODD.

There is no // to signify that her household had ended nor a "1" next to his name which would have shown that he was in the next house. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
thanks for the input Geoff, the query was more what was a "removal" order. He was a widower by 1841 and none of the others at the address are family so presume he had no means of support if not any work available.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Penny I had a similar situation in Beds and reached the same conclusion as yourself. 

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
thanks a-l

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
He was a widower by 1841 and none of the others at the address are family so presume he had no means of support if not any work available.

My, that is a presumption.  :o  He says he's a bricky ... if he's a widower, why shouldn't he be in lodgings?.  I hardly think he'd have been unemployed from 1841 till the 1849 event.  He'd have been in the workhouse if that was the case.

Perhaps he was shacked up with the widow CODD.  Another presumption, but all possibilities must be considered. ;)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.