Author Topic: St Nicholas Hospital Salisbury  (Read 763 times)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Nicholas Hospital Salisbury
« on: Tuesday 09 September 14 23:51 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how the census from 1861 , 1871,1881, 1891 for the hospital appears and what are its HO & RG numbers etc please???   Also was it uncommon for folk who died in the hospital NOT to have death certificates or have I just found a series of folk that just didnt have cert reg references???
Thank you...

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Nicholas Hospital Salisbury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
St Nicholas Hospital was located in the area of the city known as The Close on the southern edge of the cathedral grounds near Harnham Bridge.  The references are as follows:

1861: RG9/1315/58 or so
1871: RG10/1951/86
1881: RG11/2069/38
1891: RG12/1621/81

There is a photo of the buildings as they are now here: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2336280

As I understand it, no death certificate, no burial.  I've checked a couple of the inmates and found index entries for both on FreeBMD.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 14 00:20 BST (UK) »
thanks Nell,

I have been working off a book available thru AmericanUniversityLibraries site regarding the history of the hospice......  and the entries I have checked from there not the census....  I am not saying all the entries were without cert references.....   but yes that was my assumption toooooo   ..no cert no burial. :)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who was buried in 1863 before a death certificate was issued, actually before the inquest into his death was held in the distant town from where he lived where he died after an accident.  His situation is further complicated by two death certificates having been issued for him, one in the distant town on information supplied by the coroner and one four weeks later in his nearest registration town on information supplied to that registrar by his son.  He was buried by a curate not the rector of the parish so maybe he didn't know the rules.   :-\

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
that sounds like something typical i would find..... it either rains or pours or is a drought... :)