Author Topic: Enhanced GROI Indexes online July 3rd  (Read 11464 times)

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Enhanced GROI Indexes online July 3rd
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 00:35 BST (UK) »
I only used the site for Ulster which seemed to go up to the early 20s so I didn't realize they had such recent records. That's a pretty huge blunder!

I'm glad I got in while I could. I got a lot of exact birth dates which I was sometimes then able to match up with a death record in another country including women who had died under a married name I wasn't previously aware of.

All my (Canadian) financial institutions have customized security questions now. I need to use them a lot because I simply can't remember all the passwords I have now that require the special characters and such.

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 01:24 BST (UK) »
I think the 'signing in' part was just to comply with existing legislation that says you are entitled to make an application to search the index. The fact that they uploaded up to 2013 really surprised me and I wasn't very happy with it to be honest, am SHOCKED now to find they had no authority to do so.
I have a very unusual first name and surname (in fact I am the only person ever born with that name in Ireland 1864-2013 and I should think EVER) so that made me very uncomfortable that that info about myself should be online.But like everyone you imagine they have gone through all the legals with a fine tooth comb already ::) ::)
I did manage to find an aunt of mine who died aged 2 and no one ever knew for her existence so happy with that at least.  :)
I dread to think how much money/time has been wasted because no one in Dept of Arts asked an obvious question.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:37 BST (UK) »
...."I dread to think how much money/time has been wasted because no one in Dept of Arts asked an obvious question...."

Well hopefully when they put them back up to the cut off dates, they'll use the database to release records every year from it as they already have the database done!

No need to waste money doing them again....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 25 July 14 18:57 BST (UK) »

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 19 September 14 01:20 BST (UK) »
Not too much longer to wait it seems but  dates pushed well back. Still better that nothing.
http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2014/09/irishgenealogy-to-upload-abridged.html

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 19 October 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Claire's latest post on the issue.
http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2014/10/the-irish-gro-indexes-fiasco-long-wait.html
It appears every thing is good to go on the restricted records but no word on when.

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 20 October 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
Given they are planning to upload only - from Claire's Blog "Births up to 100 years ago, Marriages up to 75 years ago and Deaths up to 50 years ago" So no births after 1914, no marriages after 1939 and no deaths after 1964 - by my reckoning the only advantage over FamilySearch is an extra 6 years info on deaths. Do they even know FamilySearch has had more info online for years now.
Won't be of any real use even if they ever do get around to uploading it. :(